18.499 computing and composition

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:05:58 +0000

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: Haradda_at_aol.com (13)
         Subject: Re: 18.485 computing and composition theory

   [2] From: "Heyward Ehrlich" <ehrlich_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu> (20)

   [3] From: Martin Holmes <mholmes_at_uvic.ca> (135)

         Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 07:44:01 +0000
         From: Haradda_at_aol.com

In a message dated 1/19/2005 3:56:55 PM Mountain Standard Time,
willard.mccarty_at_KCL.AC.UK writes:
>(3) does anybody know about a program that'll strip out the
>useless code from a M$Word-created HTML file? (as a plain ascii
>file the text in question is about 17K; in its full flower, as
>published to HTML by Word, it's 48K). (By the way, I've tried
>M$Word's "filtered" HTML and Dreamweaver's HTML cleanup.
>Neither touch the mess.)

I use a little program called web2text that handles just about
everything. You do have to do a little clean up on the quotes and dashes
in most cases.

David Reed