18.345 recording angels

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 07:27:36 +0000

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: lachance_at_origin.chass.utoronto.ca (Francois (13)
                 Lachance)
         Subject: Re: 18.334 recording angels

   [2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk> (64)
         Subject: crossing the disciplinary beach

         Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 06:07:54 +0000
         From: lachance_at_origin.chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)

Willard,

I just want to point out that your preliminary posting on the topic of
ethnographic documentation may have overlooked the role of the oral
historian. Post-hoc, the interview is a valuable genre. Are not some of
the researchers you wish had left more documentation still living? Would
they not be available for a series of interviews?

Alongside the recording angels, is there room in your heaven for the
stenographic seraphs or the chatty cherubim? Or a devilish interviewer?

   --
Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance

A calendar is like a map. And just as maps have insets, calendars in the
21st century might have 'moments' expressed in flat local time fanning out
into "great circles" expressed in earth revolution time.