18.288 loss of information

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:08:29 +0100

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: "Lisa L. Spangenberg" (17)
                 <lisa_at_digitalmedievalist.com>
         Subject: Re: 18.276 loss of information and clarity of
                 expression

   [2] From: Michael Hart <hart_at_pglaf.org> (47)
                 expression

         Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 06:42:55 +0100
         From: "Lisa L. Spangenberg" <lisa_at_digitalmedievalist.com>
         Subject: Re: 18.276 loss of information and clarity of expression

>The average age of a CD is supposed to
>be twenty-years? Aren't CD's about 20 years on the market now? I'm not
>aware of any massive failures, so I wonder how the average lifetime was
>determined.

I have cd-roms from 1989 and 1990 that are no longer readable because the
layers have separated. These are professional CDs, not one-offs.

I have several "one-offs," made as interim copies for various multimedia
CDs in 1994 and 1995 that are also unreadable--for various reasons; layer
separation, dye fades, and even fungus (much like the "laser rot" that
affected certain laser disks).

--
Lisa L. Spangenberg | Digital Medievalist
Ye knowe ek, that in forme of speche is chaunge