18.276 loss of information and clarity of expression

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 11:08:37 +0100

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

   [1] From: "Daniel O'Donnell" <daniel.odonnell_at_uleth.ca> (50)
         Subject: Re: 18.274 losing it

   [2] From: "Dr. Donald J. Weinshank" <weinshan_at_cse.msu.edu> (17)
         Subject: 1. Clear writing; 2. Loss of information

         Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 10:44:26 +0100
         From: "Daniel O'Donnell" <daniel.odonnell_at_uleth.ca>

Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty
<willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>) wrote:

> >In our headlong rush to go digital much of our past is becoming just
> >meaningless code of 0s and 1s. A substantial amount of material stored on
> >computers, magnetic tape and even CDs is no longer accessible due to rapid
> >deterioration and obsolescence. The average life of a tape is fifteen
> >years, a CD twenty, computer systems and software far less.

I'm interested in this last set of claims, particularly about the CDs. It
seems to me this is open to the same challenge Nicolson Baker made against
claims that "our newspaper heritage" was crumbling away and needed to be
microfilmed (and later, digitised). The average age of a CD is supposed to
be twenty-years? Aren't CD's about 20 years on the market now? I'm not
aware of any massive failures, so I wonder how the average lifetime was
determined.

I recently wrote an article discussing the experience of (ironically
enough) the BBC's problems with the Domesday book, which recently was said
to be "unreadable" about 15 years after it was completed (it wasn't exactly
unreadable, but it is certainly no poster child for data longevity),
<http://www.mun.ca/mst/heroicage/issues/7/ecolumn.html>. As I point out
there, however, the BBC's project is not entirely comparable to
contemporary projects, however, due to a fundamental shift in approach to
design that came with the separation of content and presentaiton. The BBC
project was a custom-made machine: data, presentation, and hardware we
(almost) inextricably linked. It was made just as the international
standards we now use were begining to appear, and hence to early to take
advantage of their robustness. I think it would be hard to create such
obsolescence in a modern standards-based project. Early webpages--even
non-standard ones using, for example, the Netscape blink tag, are likely to
last much longer (although, interestingly, I think ones using <layer>s are
now in trouble)

This is not a claim that we should wreck everything so it can be digitised.
But there is a remarkable amount of hyperbole on both sides of the
discussion, I suspect.

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Associate Professor of English