18.273 complaints about grammar

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 10:10:49 +0100

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 10:05:54 +0100
         From: Ed Finegan <Finegan_at_usc.edu>
         Subject: Re: 18.266 complaints about grammar worth the candle?

Just between you and I and all the rest of us, it probably ain't worth a
line unless you wanna seriously tackle language variation and change.

Here is the usage note from the latest Merriam-Webster collegiate:
"For both transitive and intransitive senses 1b the past and past
participle hung, as well as hanged, is standard. Hanged is most appropriate
for official executions *he was to be hanged, cut down whilst still
aliveTand his bowels torn out — Louis Allen* but hung is also used *gave
orders that she should be hung — Peter Quennell*. Hung is more appropriate
for less formal hangings *by morning I'll be hung in effigy — Ronald Reagan*."

Ed Finegan
USC College
University of Southern California