18.174 history of tools

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 07:07:43 +0100

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 06:41:38 +0100
         From: Geoffrey Rockwell <georock_at_MCMASTER.CA>
         Subject: History of Tools

On the subject of the history of text analysis tools, I have a short
history in a paper that appeared in _Literary and Linguistic Computing_.
The reference is, Rockwell, Geoffrey, "What is Text Analysis, Really?",
Literary and Linguistic Computing, vol. 18, no. 2, 2003, p. 209-219.

   I have put up a preprint of the article at:

http://www.geoffreyrockwell.com/publications.html

The discussion in this paper is aimed at making a hermeneutical point.
Rereading it, I support the call for more work on our history and
techniques. I would go further and say that we need to look at our
instruments as Ian Hacking would - and do what he calls historical ontology
- asking about the concepts embodied in the instruments and the history of
these concepts.

If there is general support for the idea of a wiki on text tool history we
have a wiki running for TAPoR and would be happy to set up an open web on
this subject. The problem with wikis is that you need to have a group of
dedicated authors who write to them, otherwise they end up abandoned
construction sites in plain view of the information highway.

yours,

Geoffrey Rockwell
McMaster University