18.097 Anastasia

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty_at_kcl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:15:46 +0100

                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist_at_princeton.edu

         Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:06:47 +0100
         From: lachance_at_origin.chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)
         Subject: Anastasia: important technical development

Willard

I don't know how much airplay or netwave the announcement of the open
source availibility of the suite of Anastasia software is getting. I do
know that it deserves to be discussed, demonstrated and discussed
some more. The development and dare I say breakthrough combines your
desideratum of an interesting question and Matt Kirschenbaum's of a novel
answer.

http://anastasia.sourceforge.net/anahistory.html

We came to realize that these problems were expressions of a single
underlying difficulty. [The proprietary software] would not let us start
processing at any one point of the text, carry on to any other point of
the text, and understand and process all the encoding it found between the
two points.

In the calendar of the Humanities Computing Year, June 24 just might be
the occasion to light celebratory bonfires for more than a particular
saint's birth day. I salute the humanities computing scholars, Robinson
and Andrew West, who chose St. John the Baptist's day to officially make
Anastasia open source. It augurs well.

Do check it out...

http://anastasia.sourceforge.net/index.html

--