18.017 Hypertext '04

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 02:19:56 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                            www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 07:14:30 +0100
             From: hla@CS.NOTT.AC.UK
             Subject: Hypertext '04: Short Paper and poster submissions due 28 May

                                   Hypertext 2004

                 Fifteenth ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia
                    August 9-13, 2004 : Santa Cruz, California USA
                                 http://www.ht04.org/

                                 Call for Submissions

        The Fifteenth International ACM Conference on Hypertext and Hypermedia
        will be held in Santa Cruz, California, August 9-13, 2004.

        The ACM Hypertext Conference is the foremost international conference
        on hypertext and hypermedia. It brings together scholars, researchers
        and practitioners from a diverse array of disciplines, united by a
        shared interest in innovative textual and multimedia information
        spaces - with emphasis on augmenting human capabilities via linking,
        structure, authoring, annotation and interaction.

        This year, in addition to the established conference themes, the
        conference is actively soliciting submissions at the intersections
        of hypermedia and Digital Libraries, Software Engineering and the
        Humanities. We welcome submissions on the representation, design,
        structuring, visualizing, navigating, and exploiting of the rich
        network of relationships found in these domains.

        Spatial hypertext (structuring information via visual cues and
        geometric arrangement) and ubiquitous hypermedia (in situ authoring
        and navigating relationships among real world objects) have recently
        emerged as significant research directions. They join our established
        themes of adaptive hypermedia, literary hypertext and systems and
        structures. This latter topic knits together the research themes
        of open hypermedia, structural computing, design and reflection.

    Key dates

        Short papers: May 28, 2004
        Poster & demo abstracts: June 11, 2004

    Program Themes

        This year we have organised the call around a number of themes. We
        welcome papers about all aspects of hypertext and hypermedia, even
        if not closely fitting one of these themes.

    Digital Libraries

        Chair John Leggett, Texas A&M University
        Vice Chair David Hicks, Aalborg University Esbjerg

        Information structuring plays a fundamental role in the broad range of
        research areas encompassed by the digital library field. The diverse
        collection of media that digital libraries contain, along with the
        variety of ways in which users interact with those resources, require
        flexible, dynamic, and adaptable structuring techniques. We seek
        contributions that explore the ways in which the rich variety of
        structuring facilities represented by hypermedia technology can be
        used to address the challenging tasks faced in the digital libraries
        field.

    Software Engineering

        Chair Walt Scacchi, University of California, Irvine
        Vice Chair Ken Anderson, University of Colorado, Boulder

        Software projects produce a diverse set of highly interrelated
        artifacts including requirements, architectures, designs, source code,
        test cases, and build scripts. We are interested in research that
        explicitly leverage these relationships through hypertext mechanisms
        or capabilities, including but not limited to contributions in
        Web-based open source software development, software development
        environments, CASE tools, consistency checking, software configuration
        management, build management, release management, literate
        programming, intelligent editors, and documentation support systems.

    Hypertext in the Humanities

        Chair Sofia Stamou, University of Patras
        Vice Chair Christiane Fellbaum, Princeton University

        Theoretical and applied work in areas like computational linguistics,
        natural language processing, lexical semantics, cognitive psychology,
        computer-mediated communication, and electronic publishing have
        explored the advantages of coding, storing, and accessing lexical
        and conceptual knowledge in multi-dimensional formats. We encourage
        submissions in these and related areas that show how multi-dimensional
        structure has been used to describe, represent, and explain different
        types of information.

    Adaptive and Adaptable Hypermedia

        Chair mc schraefel, University of Southampton

        Individuals are, well, individual. In many scenarios, one text, one
        set of relationships, does not fit all readers. We seek contributions
        in all areas of this research theme, encompassing systems,
        methodologies, and user models for the adaptation, filtering and
        personalization of relationship-rich information spaces. Additional
        emphases include interaction design for adaptable or adaptive systems,
        adaptive and intelligent learning environments, recommender systems,
        reflective user models, and agent-based adaptation, as well as
        rigorous evaluation of such systems.

    Literary Hypertext

        Chair Jim Rosenberg

        Viewed broadly, hypertext permits a wide range of experimentation in
        literary works on non-linearity, multiple authorial viewpoints, and
        rhetorical structure, as well as radical entanglements of words and
        meaning. Papers are welcomed on a variety of topics, of which only
        a small sample might include: the nature of hypertextual time,
        cybertext/algorithmic anatomy, hypertext narratology, hypertext
        anti-narratology, the role of code in literary hypertext, hypertextual
        close reading, literary interfaces, minimalist hypertext, maximalist
        (sculptural) hypertext, and the nature of hypertextual genre.

    Ubiquitous Hypermedia

        Chair Kaj Gronbaek, Aarhus University

        Rich networks of relationships exist among physical real-world objects
        as well as between these objects and computerized documents. We seek
        contributions that explore the interface between the physical and the
        virtual, especially those emphasizing creation, visualization and
        navigation of relationships, content delivery to mobile devices,
        location tracking, authoring tools and methods for geospatial
        relationships, and innovative uses of this technology for work, play,
        and creative expression.

    Spatial Hypertext

        Chair Frank Shipman, Texas A&M University

        The relative positioning of artifacts to create new relationships and
        meaning has long been used by sculptors and visual artists. Spatial
        hypertext builds on this tradition to assign meaning and structure to
        units of text and media based on their visual similarity and relative
        geometric and temporal placement in virtual information spaces. We are
        interested in contributions that explore this novel information
        structuring technique, including new systems, user interfaces and
        metaphors, visualizations, methodologies, experience reports, and
        spatial structuring techniques.

    Systems and Structures

        Chair Niels Olof Bouvin, Aarhus University

        Now that the Web has entered a period of stabilization characterized
        by increased maturity and incremental technical improvement, we seek
        research on novel systems that expose possibilities far beyond the
        Web as we know it. We solicit contributions on innovative systems,
        methodologies, and taxonomies for representing and structuring
        intellectual work and its inter-relationships. Users of systems can
        range from individuals to collaborative teams, working free-form, or
        in defined workflows. Dimensions of interest include novel user
        interfaces, architectures, distribution, data models, infrastructure,
        standards, openness, and, generally, capabilities for augmenting
        creative intellectual activity.

    Other topics

        Papers about all aspects of hypertext and hypermedia are welcome,
        whether or not they fit one or more of the above themes.

    Submission categories

        Hypertext 2004 is seeking full papers and hypertexts, short papers,
        technical briefings, doctoral consortium contributions, demonstrations
        and posters. Please see the Web site for further information.

    Conference Committee

       Program Co-Chairs
          David De Roure, University of Southampton, UK dder@ecs.soton.ac.uk
          Helen Ashman, University of Nottingham, UK hla@cs.nott.ac.uk
       General Chair
          Jim Whitehead, University of California, Santa Cruz, US ejw@cs.ucsc.edu
       Hypertext Program Chair
          Simon Buckingham Shum, Open University, UK sbs@acm.org
       Workshops Chair
          Manolis Tzagarakis, Computer Technology Institute, Greeece tzagara@cti.gr
       Tutorials Chair
          Jamie Blustein, Dalhousie University, Canada jamie@cs.dal.ca
       Posters & Demonstrations Chair
          Jessica Rubart, Fraunhofer IPSI, Germany rubart@ipsi.fhg.de
       Panels & Technical Briefings Chair
          Mark Bernstein, Eastgate Systems, US bernstein@eastgate.com
       Doctoral Consortium Chair
          Leslie Carr, University of Southampton, UK lac@ecs.soton.ac.uk

                               http://www.ht04.org/
             For general enquiries please contact enquiries@ht04.org

    advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the