17.749 posting Humbul resources

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 17:03:42 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                            www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 07:32:01 +0100
             From: Michael Fraser <mike.fraser@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
             Subject: Re: 17.737 new on WWW: records of the Old Bailey

    > Many here will share my joy at discovering, thanks to a colleague here, The
    > Proceedings of the Old Bailey London 1674-1834,
    > http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/, "A fully searchable online edition of the
    > largest body of texts detailing the lives of non-elite people ever
    > published, containing accounts of over 100,000 criminal trials held at
    > London's central criminal court." Truly a treasure-trove of misery.

    We've actually had this catalogued in Humbul since March 2003
    (http://www.humbul.ac.uk/output/full2.php?id=6010). This is no criticism
    of anyone, except perhaps Humbul, but we'd welcome suggestions of the best
    ways to alert humanities people to the stuff that gets catalogued in
    Humbul each week. We maintain RSS newsfeeds, for example, and an
    email-based alerting services (for which you need to register) but are
    there other things we should be considering? We could, for example, think
    about posting a brief list of recently catalogued resources to humanist
    once a week?

    Best wishes,

    Mike

    ---
    Dr Michael Fraser
    Co-ordinator, Research Technologies Service & Head of Humbul
    Oxford University Computing Services
    13 Banbury Road
    Oxford OX2 6NN
    Tel: 01865 283 343