17.722 articles & Herodotus

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 17:00:37 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                            www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: Gerry Mckiernan <gerrymck@IASTATE.EDU> (70)
             Subject: New and Old Articles About Innovative Information
                     Systems

       [2] From: JoDI Announcements <jodi@ecs.soton.ac.uk> (46)
             Subject: JoDI (V4i4): New Applications of Knowledge
                     Organization Systems

       [3] From: ubiquity <ubiquity@HQ.ACM.ORG> (14)
             Subject: Ubiquity 5.4

       [4] From: Ross Scaife <scaife@UKY.EDU> (24)
             Subject: HERODOTUS PROJECT (photography/history web site}

             Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 06:35:15 +0000
             From: Gerry Mckiernan <gerrymck@IASTATE.EDU>
             Subject: New and Old Articles About Innovative Information Systems

              _New and Old Articles About Innovative Information Systems_

    I am pleased to announce the publication and availability of self-archived
    copies of
    two of my SCI-5 columns devoted to Innovative Information Systems:

    "New Age E-Journals, Indexes, and Services,"
    Science & Technology Libraries, Vol. 21, No. 3/4, 2001 [2003], pp. 223-233.

    [ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/EJIS.pdf]

    "Scholar-Based Initiatives in Publishing," Science & Technology Libraries,
    Vol. 22, No. 3/4, 2002 [2003], pp. 181-191

    [ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/SBI.pdf ]

    I am also pleased to announce the availability of self-archived copies of
    previously published articles that profile other Innovative Information
    Systems, etc:

    "eCONF: The SLAC Electronic Conference Proceedings Archive," Library Hi
    Tech News, Vol. 18 No. 5, 2001, pp. 16-23.

    http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/eCONF.pdf

    ABSTRACT

    To promote the publication and expedite the availability of conference
    proceedings, an experimental archive titled eConf has been established
    under the auspices of the SLAC Technical Information Services department.
    At this time, the eConf archive is limited to proceedings in high-energy
    physics and related fields. The archive
    presently contains the conference papers of two proceedings: the 19th
    International Symposium on Lepton and Photon Interactions at High Energies
    (LP 99) and 20th International
    Linac Conference.

    http://www.slac.stanford.edu/econf/

    "EnergyFiles: The Virtual Library of Energy Science and Technology,"
    Library Hi Tech News, Vol. 20, No. 1, January/February 2003, 30-36.

    http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/EnergyFiles.pdf

    ABSTRACT

    The targeted audience for EnergyFiles is end users and organizations having
    a need for
    energy-related scientific and technical information. Anticipated primary
    users include
    researchers, scientists, project managers, program, managers, academic
    (educators and students), and associated information professionals.

    NOTE: Review of previous version of interface and system

    http://www.osti.gov/EnergyFiles/

    "Library Database Advisors - Emerging Innovative Augmented Digital Library
    Services," Library Hi Tech News Vol. 19, No. 4, May 2002, pp. 27-33.

    "Why should we make our users hunt down the best resource for a given
    information need and learn how to use its particular options for searching?
    Why not provide them with a simple way to get started?" || Roy Tennant ||

    http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/LDBA.pdf

    "Web-based Journal Manuscript Management and Peer-Review Systems and
    Services," Library Hi Tech News Vol. 19, No. 7, August 2002, pp. 31-43.

    "* [A] paperless system would significantly reduce delays in all aspects of
    the dissemination cycle. The composition process itself should be speeded
    up and so should the whole interaction among writers, publishers, and
    referees." || F. W. Lancaster ||

    [Lancaster, F.W., Toward Paperless Information Systems ( Academic Press:
    New York, NY, 1978), 127.]

    http://www.public.iastate.edu/~gerrymck/PeerSoft.pdf

    And BTW: For the Irish amongst us, as well as those who wish they were [:-)]:
    Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    Enjoy!

    /Gerry

    Gerry McKiernan
    New and Old Irish Librarian
    Iowa State University
    Ames IA 50011

    gerrymck@iastate.edu

    "You should never wear your best [green] trousers when you go out to fight
    for freedom and liberty." With Apologies to Henrik Ibsen (1828 - 1906)