17.817 what's needed

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 07 2004 - 16:56:42 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                            www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: Matt Kirschenbaum <mk235@umail.umd.edu> (19)
             Subject: Re: 17.802 what's needed?

       [2] From: Maurizio Lana <m.lana@lett.unipmn.it> (25)
             Subject: Re: 17.813 what's needed; pedagogical use of text-
                     analysis

       [3] From: Shlomo Argamon <argamon@iit.edu> (14)
             Subject: RE: 17.813 what's needed?

             Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:06:51 +0100
             From: Matt Kirschenbaum <mk235@umail.umd.edu>

    Willard asks "what's needed." I would like to see this community able to
    document some specific instances of new knowledge that has been created
    as a direct result of access to text analysis or digital resources in
    the humanities. By this I don't just mean generic statements like, "with
    the advent of the Blake Archive I can compare images from dozens of his
    different illuminated books." I also don't mean linguistic computing,
    where such successes are well known and documented. For those working in
    text anaylsis, electronic editing, digital libraries, and related
    fields: are we able to point to actual cases where a problem has been
    solved, a question has been answered, received wisdom has been
    overturned, or new things have been learned? In the same way we can
    point to new knowledge that has come from the advent of the Hinman
    collator or the scanning electron microscope.

    Positivistic? Maybe, but it strikes me that this community has done a
    very good job in articulating the ways in which humanities computing is
    capable of raising questions; time to see whether we're also any good at
    answering them? Matt

    Matthew G. Kirschenbaum_____________________________
    _______________________http://www.otal.umd.edu/~mgk/