17.598 evaluating Internet resources for the humanities

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 05:46:49 EST

                     Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

         Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 10:31:24 +0000
         From: Michael Fraser <mike.fraser@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
         Subject: Re: 17.594 evaluating Internet resources for the humanities?

> Does anyone know whether a list of the most important sites about
> internet resources for the humanities exists? I'm searchin' whatever about
> Shakespeare and internet world

You might want to have a look at the Resource Discovery Network's Virtual
Training Suite which has a series of online tutorials all about evaluating
Web resources - the humanities ones are listed at

In addition, Humbul's cataloguing guidelines include some pointers to
starting points for evaluating web sites -
http://www.humbul.ac.uk/about/catalogue.html#evaluating and our collection
development policy might be of interest as an example of how this process
can be formalised (http://www.humbul.ac.uk/about/colldev.html)

There's also just under a 100 sites chosen for inclusion in Humbul with
something to do with Shakespeare
Suggestions for others are always welcome.

Dr Michael Fraser
Head of Humbul Humanities Hub
Oxford University Computing Services
13 Banbury Road