17.575 KWIC

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 03:37:43 EST

<x-flowed>
                   www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                        www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                     Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

   [1] From: Maurizio Lana <m.lana@lett.unipmn.it> (26)
         Subject: Re: 17.568 KWIC

   [2] From: Norman Hinton <hinton@springnet1.com> (6)
         Subject: Re: 17.568 the KWIC and the sheep

   [3] From: Patrick Durusau <Patrick.Durusau@sbl-site.org> (41)
         Subject: Using Concordances

         Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 08:15:50 +0000
         From: Maurizio Lana <m.lana@lett.unipmn.it>

At 09.43 27/01/2004, Jim Marchand wrote:
>I was so pleased to see the name of one of my heroes, Joe Raben.
>He once said, BTW, in speaking of concordances: "The very
>technology that has made possible more and better concordances will
>very soon be responsible for their death." "The Death of the
>Handmade Concordance," Scholarly Publishing 1 (1969), p. 69. Too
>bad this prediction hasn't yet come true (I am at this moment
>reviewing a recently-published KWIC concordance).[...]

i think that a (kwic) concordance is really useful in order to deeply study
a given text or corpus, only if it is a computer concordance (say: digital
text + concordancing software). This way one can test one after another
many ideas and hypotheses about the text, and also discover something not
apparent when reading sequentially (for those of you who understand my
argument, a simple KWIC concordance for "turchini" in the "Avventure di
Pinocchio" shows not only the well known "Fata dai capelli turchini", but
also a quite unknown "Bambina dai capelli turchini". The Bambina reveals to
be the Fata; and the "bambina" is called by pinocchio "sorellina", while
the "Fata" il called "mamma".
so with a concordance we quickly discover that Pinocchio has an imaginary
family where his sorellina is also his mother...
and here the field opens to further studies...
maurizio

Maurizio Lana - ricercatore
Dipartimento di Studi Umanistici - Università del Piemonte Orientale a Vercelli
via Manzoni 8, I-13100 Vercelli
+39 347 7370925

First, I agree completely about Joe Raben and I was equally happy to see
his name.

I don't like KWIC, but I use a Chaucer concordance about once a month, and
it was very helpful in getting together a paper I read at the medieval
Institute last year.