17.477 fundamental books?

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 06:32:56 EST

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                            www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:21:26 +0000
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: fundamental books?

    I would very much appreciate recommendations of books or articles you
    regard as fundamental to an understanding of each of the following
    disciplines or discipinary groups:

    Philosophy
    History
    Social sciences (including at least sociology, anthropology and economics)
    Linguistics
    Cultural studies
    Performance studies
    Literary studies
    Computer science

    In each case I am interested only in works that address an intelligent but
    possibly ignorant audience. My guess is that the job could only be done by
    a leading figure of the day, e.g. in the case of anthropology, Clifford
    Geertz. I am asking the questions: what is each discipline all about? how
    does it construct the world? what does it have to offer? I am interested
    quite specifically in what each has to offer us in humanities computing,
    but I'd rather not eliminate any possibilities at the moment.

    If you think I have forgotten a discipline or group for which such a book
    or article exists, please let me know.

    Many thanks.

    Yours,
    WM

    Dr Willard McCarty | Senior Lecturer | Centre for Computing in the
    Humanities | King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS || +44 (0)20
    7848-2784 fax: -2980 || willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk
    www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/