17.475 digital preservation

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Dec 19 2003 - 05:19:40 EST

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                            www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:10:07 +0000
             From: Mícheál Mac an Airchinnigh <mmaa@eircom.net>
             Subject: Re: 17.470 digital preservation

    On Thursday, December 18, 2003, at 08:27 AM, Humanist Discussion Group (by
    way of Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>) wrote:

    > Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 17, No. 470.
    > Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London
    > www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
    > www.princeton.edu/humanist/
    > Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu
    >

    > Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:18:35 +0000
    > From: Maurizio Lana <m.lana@lett.unipmn.it>
    > >
    >At 12.14 16/12/2003, Spencer Tasker <spencer@tasker.info> wrote:
    > >Maurizio Lana correctly identified some of the false assumptions
    > >of the Garfinkel article, however, there are a couple of points
    > >which I should like to add.
    >[...]
    >
    >I too would like to add something to the discussion, and would like to
    >point all of the humanists who can read in italian to the following article:
    >"attenti, col digitale non si tramanda" (something like "beware, what's
    >digital can't be left as a legacy"),
    >http://www.apogeonline.com/webzine/2003/12/11/01/200312110101, coming from
    >the newsletter "apogeonline", and written by Paolo Attivissimo
    >(www.attivissimo.org).
    >He points out that while one could think of rebuilding from scratch an old
    >grammophone, and actually do it, the same is not true for - say - an old
    >Sinclair Z80, or any piece of electronic hardware, after the stop of the
    >industrial flow which produced it.
    >
    >maurizio
    >
    >Maurizio Lana - ricercatore
    >Dipartimento di Studi Umanistici - Universitŕ del Piemonte Orientale a
    >Vercelli
    >via Manzoni 8, I-13100 Vercelli
    >+39 347 7370925
    This provokes me ... strongly ... as a Computer Scientist!

    The industrial flow is irrelevant to the reconstruction
    of the Sinclair Z80 or anything else of a similar sort
    as long as the "blueprints" (hardware, software) exist.

    Those individuals who still produce "hand-crafted computers"
    could build ...

    But more importantly, we can *emulate* machines such as
    the Sinclair Z80, if we want to!

    By "emulate" we mean to run a Virtual computing system on another
    computing system. For example, it is common
    for a Mac to run windows and unix software today!

    regards,

    Mícheál
               ... o O o O o ...
           USUK WAR ON UN
    <!--
    20030320+..., 20030501+..., 20030522+...,
    20030612+..., 20030923+..., 20031016+...
    -->
               ... o O o O o ...

    Dr. Mícheál Mac an Airchinnigh
    Department of Computer Science
    University of Dublin, Trinity College
    Dublin 2, Ireland
    mailto:mmaa@cs.tcd.ie
    mailto:Micheal.MacanAirchinnigh@cs.tcd.ie

    "Please kindly take note that electronic mail
    to, from or within Trinity College Dublin,
    may be the subject of a request
    under the Freedom of Information Act."