17.442 gender-testing

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 05:23:35 EST

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                            www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: lachance@origin.chass.utoronto.ca (Francois (98)
                     Lachance)
             Subject: From Linking to Gender Bending

       [2] From: "Prof. Shlomo Argamon" <argamon@iit.edu> (100)
             Subject: Info-age criticism and gender-testing

             Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:10:22 +0000
             From: lachance@origin.chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)

    Willard,

    Elm has a wonderful feature... if I am too naysaying in a polemical reply
    or posting, I speed over the saving of the temporary file before the email
    is sent off thereby obliging me should I desire to reconsider a more
    constructive contribution to reconstruct the intended message. This is one
    such reconstruction. However it still seems a little tart in spots and I
    beg your indulgence and the forbearance of our readers especially in the
    passage below dealing with the rereporting of research results. [Note that
    my naysaying can of virago or of macho tone rarely in a hermaphroditic
    writing moment can I sustain the virulance of polemic. *wink*

    17.415
    Dec. 1
    First there was Willard pointing to a (London) Times report on an article
    that appeared in Literary and Linguistic Computing. (The article residing
    behind a password protected site and I not being near a library with
    issues of the Journal at hand or license to access the online journal…)
    Only have Willard's excerpts to go on.

    17.419
    Dec. 2
    Malcolm Hayward posts abstract from a paper he authored and the very
    significant observation that gender identification depends upon who is
    writing/speaking to whom about what (girls talking to girls about girls;
    boys talking to girls about girls, etc. etc.)

    17.423
    Dec. 3
    Aimee Morrison raises, in passing, the issue of lay and expert audiences
    interpreting the results of gender-identification research.

    Stephen Clark raises further information about a particular case, although
    does not explicitly pose the question of collaboration: could two male
    authors collaborating together achieve a score for female authorship?

    Both postings call into question the sociological basis of gender
    ascriptions to the products of discursive behaviour. Is academic writing
    per se masculine? Is collaborative work per se feminine?

    17.427
    Dec. 4
    Professor Argamon writes: "I am very interested in discussing this topic
    more - the links between lexicogrammar, gender, genre, and how text is
    perceived are very relevant, I believe, to developing an "information age
    criticism", bridging the gap
    between the "Two Cultures". "

    17.430
    Dec. 5
    Francois Lachance reiterates Malcolm Hayward's call to be sensitive to
    context: "Who is a question that bears reflection in the context of where,
    when and
    with whom." As well, Lachance asks about ownership of the "Two Cultures"

    17.434
    Dec. 7
    Patrick T Rourke points to C.P. Snow.
    Neven Jovanovic makes the plea for dialogue

    Dec. 7
    Lachance tries to be witty and ask a double question: who's or whose
    C.P.Snow? [The original posting that has thankful died in the ether had a
    long diatribe to the effect that Snow's formulation was itself routed in
    sexual politics and an ahistorical appropriation of it…. blah blah blah]
    Lachance does a search of the Humanist archive. Nets some very interesting
    exchanges on the culture bridging theme. Most interesting is this one…
    http://lists.village.virginia.edu/lists_archive/Humanist/v03/0321.html
    In that set of messages from Volume 3, Willard writes about the "eros of
    proof" and alludes to a passage in Homer's Odyssey. Methinks that the one
    who kicked off this thread tying us to the mast with a quasi-Siren* call
    should find the means and ways of retrieving the article in LLC and inform
    subscribers on if the article informs its readers on what grounds the
    ascriptions of gender were made. The tallying of the markers may be
    correct. Does the paper discuss the basis on which markers get to mark
    gender? It appears that neither the excerpts cited by Willard nor the
    summary that Willard gave to the Times piece give any indication that the
    interpretative basis was substantiated by verified scientific inquiry.
    Sampling. Sampling. Sampling.

    I am not asking for a regression to some putative foundation. I am asking
    for care in reporting. And even greater care in rereporting. Many of the
    messages on this thread, if accessed as single elements and not as a
    series, would lead a casual reader to the belief that the writers actually
    endorsed some of the under-specified premises about gender ascription
    (it's desirability and possibility).

    I find it very ironic that the thread on gender-testing was weaving its
    way into the Humanist archive in close temporal proximity of the linking
    anxiety thread where the distinction between argument and evidence was
    foregrounded. It strikes me that yes indeed "information age criticism"
    needs to bridge some gaps: between the question and that which provokes
    the question.

    Aside provoked by thinking of a culture of the question facing a culture
    of the assertion in a culture of the narrative: "What if the dimensions
    were not irremediably set in opposition? What if one considered sequence
    and figure to collaborate? One would face a machine. Every description
    as a state of being (configuration) possesses indexes translatable into
    questions for configuration's transformation (sequence). The nucleus of a
    narrative would be a description plus a question."
    http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance/S4E.HTM

    * There are reading practices that let us entertain the Sirens and the
    Heroic Hero without identifying with either.

    O Helmsman! my helmsman our fearful trip continues

       -- Francois
    Lachance, Scholar-at-large http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance

    Wondering if...

              mnemonic is to analytic