17.381 not quite as anti-Irish as once was

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 03:20:55 EST

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                            www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 07:13:02 +0000
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: accents

    As far as the computing systems involved in the publication of Humanist are
    concerned -- at Princeton, Virginia and King's College London -- the
    difficulty to which Jim O'Donnell pointed is *almost* no longer. It seems
    that an upgrade to lists.village.virginia.edu has at last cured the problem
    that required my not always perfect manual intervention to preserve
    accented characters throughout the messages sent to Humanist. BUT, as the
    header of the message in Humanist 17.380, from my Dublin colleague Mícheál
    Mac an Airchinnigh, demonstrates, we're still not quite there yet. It seems
    that accented names in e-mail headers come to me encoded with "quoted
    printable" characters. I don't think this is a fault I can correct but
    would be very happy to be instructed otherwise. (I've read the Eudora
    documentation on the topic.) As you may have guessed, I normally correct
    such problems by hand, but I stayed my hand this time in order to satisfy
    Mícheál's curiosity.

    Curiously the announcements of new publications sent out by Kluwer makes
    utter hash out of accented characters -- you'd think that an international
    publisher would get this one right, would you not? I correct these when I can.

    Yours,
    WM

    Dr Willard McCarty | Senior Lecturer | Centre for Computing in the
    Humanities | King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS || +44 (0)20
    7848-2784 fax: -2980 || willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk
    www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/