17.339 Open Access and its implications for the humanities

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 01:52:30 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                            www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 05:30:22 +0000
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: Open Access and its implications for the humanities

    Following is a collection of messages exchanged among a few people
    interested in the topic of "open access". At the suggestion of one of them,
    Stevan Harnad, I am publishing the lot here on Humanist, slightly edited to
    remove some irrelevant stuff. Let the discussion continue! --WM

    (1)
    >Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 11:43:05 +0100 (BST)
    >From: Stevan Harnad <harnad@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
    >>
    >Dear Stefan & Willard,
    >
    >Thanks for mentioning the Humanist discussion thread.
    >
    >....Surely it should be mentioned that The Bryn Mawr Classical Review is
    >(along with Psycoloquy) one of the very first peer-reviewed open-access
    >journals, publikshed continuously since 1990!
    >http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr/
    >
    >That suggests the humanities have been involved in open access from the
    >very beginning. How much relative growth there has been in humanities
    >self-archiving, I cannot say (though I hope a cross-discipline survey
    >will soon be underway). As to the monograph literature: it has the
    >special problems mentioned in our symposium: (1) Some monograph authors
    >still hope for royalty revenue, (2) many are still addicted to paper
    >(understandably, for long discursive texts), hence not even the online
    >divide, let alone the open-access one, has yet been fully crossed in
    >the world of monographs, and (3) the role of both peer review and a
    >prestigious publisher's imprimatur in research monographs is a little
    >more complicated than in refereed journal articles.
    >
    >But, in principle, I think there is no difference, and the outcome
    >will be the same (though possibly later). The idea of offering authors
    >(for monographs that would not break even in paper) the option of either
    >inviting their research funders or institutions to subsidize a
    >complementary online open-access edition (alongside the toll-access
    >paper addition), or even to offer a (less expensive, but equally
    >prestigious) online-only open-access edition only, under the same
    >publisher, might be two interim options for now. The PsycPrints software
    >might possibly help too.
    >
    >Cheers, Stevan
    >
    >On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Stefan Gradmann wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Stevan,

    > > By the way: almost in parallel with our discussion in Berlin the thread
    > > below started to build up in the Humanist Discussion Group - I would say
    > > this is rather encouraging for what we would like to do in the humanities
    > > area. There seems to be some need for specific action here.
    > >
    > > And I will have a closer look at PsycPrints
    > > (http://psycprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/ ) - or rather ask my staff member
    > Volker
    > > John to do so (that's why he is on CC) and come back to you with any
    > > evaluation results I may be able to produce.
    > >
    > > Best regards -- Stefan Gradmann

    > > Dr. Stefan Gradmann / Virtuelle Campusbibliothek
    > > Regionales Rechenzentrum der Universität Hamburg
    > > Schlüterstr. 70, D-20146 Hamburg
    > > Tel.: +49 (0)40 42838 3093
    > > Fax.: +49 (0)40 42838 3284
    > > GSM : +49 (0)170 8352623
    > > E-Mail: stefan.gradmann@rrz.uni-hamburg.de

    (2)
    [From the undersigned on 24/10/03]

    >Dear Stevan, Volker, Jim and Stefan (if I may 2/4),
    >
    >Thanks for all this. With some effort on our part a lively discussion on
    >the topic of open access could be kept on the boil, and I certainly agree
    >that this would be a very good thing. There are many members of Humanist
    >with a keen interest in open access but who say very little or nothing
    >because the pressures of work. (I can infer this interest and the
    >inhibiting pressures from knowing a number of these people personally.)
    >Hence effort from those who are willing to take the time will be needed.
    >
    >On this topic I do think that one has to take into account the nature of
    >the humanities and what various forms of publication mean in the
    >disciplines concerned. A rhythm and venues of publication suitable to the
    >natural and social sciences will not, it seems to me, serve many of these
    >disciplines well. If one's primary desire is to communicate, then one has
    >to publish in such a way that one's intended readers are most likely
    >actually to read what one has written. I'm not saying that experiments of
    >various kinds should not be tried. Self-archiving of journal articles and
    >conference papers seems like a good idea to me for the areas in which I
    >work. As a reader I'd never be satisfied with an online version of a book
    >except (a) to determine whether I wanted to buy it on paper for reading;
    >(b) to grab a relatively small bit of it I happened to know about,
    >providing I didn't want to read the whole; (c) if it were no longer in
    >print, to save me the exorbitant cost of photocopying in the BL. The book
    >I am writing at the moment will be published on paper, which is the medium
    >in which I think it belongs, given my desire to communicate to many who
    >simply would never read it otherwise -- and that certainly includes the
    >likes of me. I have the rights to the text once it goes out of print, and
    >then I'll put it online.
    >
    >BMCR has repeatedly been mentioned on Humanist, as Jim will know. It's my
    >favourite example of a kind of publication in the humanities well suited
    >to the online medium. Stoa has been repeatedly mentioned as well,
    >particularly for the Suda Online, which is open during the editorial
    >process. A brilliant idea. Two brilliant ideas.
    >
    >"Open" is a word like "free", whose meaning and import greatly depends on
    >the preposition that implicitly follows. "Free from what?" is usually easy
    >to answer -- it's whatever peril or discomfort one is escaping. "Free for
    >what?" when asked often results in surprise or a less than wholly
    >satisfactory answer. "Open" suggests its antonym, "closed", and that
    >surely in our context is a value-laden word. I would very much like to see
    >a vigorous discussion of the question, "open to what?" In my experience
    >even just the willingness to open up a genuine discussion on this question
    >goes a long way toward demonstrating one's bona fides to those who resist
> [...]

    (3)
> [...]
    >whether you use it with a 'text culture' or with an 'empiristic' background
    >
    >I really feel that there is a lot to discuss here and I will try to figure
    >out how we could give this discussion context a more specific shape and how
    >to mobilize the resources we need to make it deliver more than just
    >discourse but some specific contribution to the open archives movement,
    >since after all we share the same overall objective with our STM colleagues
    >and should always make clear that our goals are identical, Stevan is
    >absolutely right concerning this point.
    >
    >I'll come back to this next week - for the time being I wish you (and all
    >the other readers of this message) a peaceful week-end: enjoy!
    >
    >Best regards -- Stefan Gradmann

    >Dr. Stefan Gradmann / Virtuelle Campusbibliothek
    >Regionales Rechenzentrum der Universität Hamburg

    (4)
> [...]
    > > environment and that makes use of ist innovative potential in a way
    > > PDF-documents modeled on the printing analogy simply don't!
    >
    >I *completely* disagree! Consider the following (I think much more
    >realistic) logic:
    >
    >(1) It is a *good* thing that online access to full-text monographs is
    >not as attractive as having the book on paper. That removes one
    >prima-facie obstacle to self-archiving them and thereby providing open
    >access for those who cannot afford to buy the monograph yet might still
    >make some use of the text!
    >
    >(2) Once open access -- reminder: that means toll-free full-text online
    >access for anyone on the web -- becomes widespread for monographs, there
    >will be much more motivation for designing ways to make online access
    >more convenient, useful, effective.
    >
    >It makes no sense whatsoever *not* to self-archive a monograph merely
    >because online access may not be optimal! It's certainly 100% better
    >than no access! (This reasoning is simply the flip-side of the equally
    >self-paralytic reasoning that they should not be self-archived because
    >they *would* be preferred over the paper version! At least the latter
    >would have a publisher, and possibly a royalty-seeking author to endorse
    >the reasoning; but with the online-is-nonoptimal argument it is purely
    >a rationalization for inaction! No losers; no winners.)
    >
    > >wm> "Open" is a word like "free", whose meaning and import
    > >wm> greatly depends on the preposition that implicitly follows.
    > >
    > > You are perfectly right in pointing out some facets of the connotation
    aura
    > > of a term like 'open' (and much more could be said here) - I would only
    > like
    > > to add that the same kind of reflexion could be made regarding the term
    > > 'access' which may have very different connotative values depending on
    > > whether you use it with a 'text culture' or with an 'empiristic'
    background

    >It is here that I feel that we non-hermeneuticists and non-semioticians
    >may have a bit of an advantage, in not getting too wrapped up in
    >far-fetched connotations. Here is a black and white distinction:
    >
    >(1) 2,500,000 articles in 24,000 journals can only be read online if the
    >user's institution can afford to pay the access tolls.
    >
    >(2) Open access means being able to do the same thing as those lucky
    >users, but without having to be at an institution that can afford the
    >access tolls.
    >
    >Open access is not about access to the printed edition. (But the online
    >edition can always be printed off, if one wishes.)
    >
    >No philosophical problem. It is clear what we do not have now, and what
    >we would have if there were open access to the journal article
    >literature. Ditto for the monograph literature. (And note that nothing
    >was said about the superiority or even parity of online access compared
    >to on-paper access for monographs. It's only about about tolled

    (5)
    >Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:56:21 +0200
    >From: Katja Mruck <mruck@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
    >Subject: Re: AW: Open Access and Humanities Monographs
    >
    >so hello to all, & let me join the discussion from berlin, germany ;-)
    >
    > > > [Willard,] as you state, the online version of a
    > > > book is not satisfying (and this already has caused the death of the
    > rather
    > > > silly e-book paradigm), and thus self-archiving of book material
    > (even if it
    > > > was available for the authors) may not be a solution at all. Open
    > access to
    > > > electronic information only gets attractive in our context once this
    > > > material is published in a way that is appropriate to the electronic
    > > > environment and that makes use of ist innovative potential in a way
    > > > PDF-documents modeled on the printing analogy simply don't!
    > >
    > > I *completely* disagree! Consider the following (I think much more
    > > realistic) logic:
    >
    >i would not completely disagree: i think the arguments are proper
    >according to Willard´s context & interests. But there are also other
    >interests, & as the editor of a multilingual open access journal
    >(english, german, spanish) which is used by many social scientists all
    >over the world i know that also in the case of monographs for some of
    >them, working under difficult conditions & with very limited resources,
    >a non-optimal access indeed is "100% better than no access." so for
    >example we make available also monographs (pdf files) on qualitative
    >research methods in the spanish language, cause such texts are difficult
    >to get in some latin american countries (the same is true for english
    >texts, as i know from colleagues in asia or in some african countries).
    >partly, also internet access should not be the only way to provide
    >information: for some of them even the download costs are so expensive
    >(& their computer equipment is so poor) that we currently discuss to
    >provide CDs -- in some cases, as one possible alternative, also better
    >than no access. in these cases the internet gave us a chance to
    >establish networks, serving different purposes in different ways. the
    >main aim, for sure, is to distribute knowledge as far as possible ...
    >
    >all my best,
    >katja
    >
    >--
    >FQS - Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung
    >/ Forum: Qualitative Social Research (ISSN 1438-5627)
    >English -> http://www.qualitative-research.net/fqs/fqs-eng.htm
    >German -> http://www.qualitative-research.net/fqs/fqs.htm
    >Spanish -> http://www.qualitative-research.net/fqs/fqs-s.htm
    >
    >Please sign the Budapest Open Access Initiative:
    >http://www.soros.org/openaccess/

    (6)
    [From the undersigned on 25/10/03]
> [...]
    >>access for those who cannot afford to buy the monograph yet might still
    >>make some use of the text!
    >>
    >>(2) Once open access -- reminder: that means toll-free full-text online
    >>access for anyone on the web -- becomes widespread for monographs, there
    >>will be much more motivation for designing ways to make online access
    >>more convenient, useful, effective.
    >>
    >>It makes no sense whatsoever *not* to self-archive a monograph merely
    >>because online access may not be optimal! It's certainly 100% better
    >>than no access! (This reasoning is simply the flip-side of the equally
    >>self-paralytic reasoning that they should not be self-archived because
    >>they *would* be preferred over the paper version! At least the latter
    >>would have a publisher, and possibly a royalty-seeking author to endorse
    >>the reasoning; but with the online-is-nonoptimal argument it is purely
    >>a rationalization for inaction! No losers; no winners.)
    >
    >Whatever I may say, you would observe in my daily behaviour that I eagerly
    >fall on online materials useful to my research, including the odd
    >monograph. So in the short term I would be among the most voracious and,
    >I'd hope, among the most grateful. But for any monograph that I really
    >valued, I would want to have it on paper. For the long term I worry that
    >unless we take great care the printed version of the monograph will become
    >a rare and even more absurdly expensive item than it is now. It's simply
    >not good enough to wave one's hands at an imagined future in which somehow
    >the online version will be as welcome and useful as the printed codex.
    >
    >Of course the passion in that last statement is not about the sort of
    >codices that Kluwer, say, tends to publish -- monographs and collections
    >of papers on rapidly changing topics, atrociously designed, sloppily
    >edited if at all, hardly proofread and often well over £100 each. A
    >downloaded, laser-printed, hole-punched version in a binder would be fine
    >most of the time for that sort of thing. But the sort of books I buy
    >aren't like that, and the like of those I want to be sure survive our
    >revolution.
    >
    >Of course if I *cannot* get access to such a book on paper, then online
    >access would be better. But that would have to mean that I could not find
    >or afford a used copy. I am most definitely not making a
    >"online-is-nonoptimal argument", any more than I would argue that not
    >having a house to live in is non-optimal. An online monograph is a
    >*different* thing. The difference can matter a very great deal.
    >
    >I have indeed noted that
    >
    >>...nothing
    >>was said about the superiority or even parity of online access compared
    >>to on-paper access for monographs. It's only about about tolled
    >>vs. toll-free online access.)
    >
    >I just think there's a great deal more involved -- hence a *very*
    >interesting and needful discussion in the making.

    (7)
> [...]
    >
    >"Open access" is the homologous term (uncontested) for the journal
    >article literature. It seems the natural one to extend to the monograph
    >literature, but always accompanied by the ready expansion to "toll-free
    >access to the full-text online" adding "so as to make our research
    >accessible online to all would-be users who cannot afford to pay to access
    >it, online or on paper." And add also: "for the sake of maximizing the
    >usage and impact of our research."
    >
    >Then the discussion can focus on whether or not monographs differ in any
    >substantive way from journal articles with respect to either the
    >desirability or the means of providing open access to them in order to
    >maximize their usage and impact.
    >
    > > Whatever I may say, you would observe in my daily behaviour that I eagerly
    > > fall on online materials useful to my research, including the odd
    > > monograph. So in the short term I would be among the most voracious and,
    > > I'd hope, among the most grateful. But for any monograph that I really
    > > valued, I would want to have it on paper.
    >
    >Fine. Have it on paper then, if you can afford it. (Otherwise just print
    >it off.)
    >
    > > For the long term I worry that
    > > unless we take great care the printed version of the monograph will become
    > > a rare and even more absurdly expensive item than it is now.
    >
    >A distinct possibility (in any case!), but to be carefully weighed
    >against the disadvantages of needlessly blocking access to would-be users
    >as in Gutenberg days, both today and in the long term, now that there is
    >another option open.
    >
    > > It's simply
    > > not good enough to wave one's hands at an imagined future in which somehow
    > > the online version will be as welcome and useful as the printed codex.
    >
    >No hand-waving and no imagining. Just access-provision, now.
    >
    > > A downloaded,
    > > laser-printed, hole-punched version in a binder would be fine most of the
    > > time... But the sort of books I buy aren't like that,
    > > and the like of those I want to be sure survive our revolution.
    >
    >To repeat: This is for providing access to those potential users who
    >cannot afford to buy, and for whom online access is the difference
    >between something and nothing.
    >
    > > Of course if I *cannot* get access to such a book on paper, then online
    > > access would be better.
    >
    >That is what this is about: Putting an end to lost research impact
    >because would-be users could not afford access. This is a huge problem
    >with journal articles. My guess is that it is true of monographs too,
    >especially the esoteric, expensive ones few libraries and individuals
    >can afford to buy. Do authors want to go on knowingly having their
    >usage, citation, application constrained by ability to pay for access,
    >as in Gutenberg days, or do they want to make use of the potential of
    >the online medium of providing open access to their research monographs?

    (8)
    >Subject: Re: Open Access and Humanities Monographs
    >FROM: "James J. O'Donnell" <jod@georgetown.edu>
    >Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 09:14:54 -0400
    >Stevan and Willard,
    >
    >I have two questions:
    >
    >1. What is the nature and quality of the evidence for what I take to be
    >the implicit assumption, that there is humanistic monograph literature
    >that is now not reaching its desired audience? What literature is not
    >reaching whom? Knowing that would help calibrate how large an effort is
    >needed and where to exercise leverage and who would pay the costs.
    >
    >2. University presses fear for their lives as sales drop. Would open
    >access further damage their position? It would be ironic and, by some at
    >least, deplored if the open access movement that began, at least, to
    >lubricate the movement of work impeded by the control of large for-profit
    >publishers should turn out to be bad news sooner for small
    >not-for-profits. The risk there is that scholars who *need* that univ.
    >press blessing for their tenure would lose out and the flourishing of
    >scholarship thereby harmed.
    >
    >Jim O'Donnell

    (9)
    [from the undersigned on 25/10/03]
    >Jim et al,
    >
    >I worry very much about (2). But it's not only the candidates for tenure
    >that would lose. What bothers me (who is secure in his job) is that our
    >ability to communicate might be severely attenuated.
    >
    >But shall we continue this on Humanist?

    Dr Willard McCarty | Senior Lecturer | Centre for Computing in the
    Humanities | King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS || +44 (0)20
    7848-2784 fax: -2980 || willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk
    www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/