17.290 HuCo Conference 4-5/12

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Oct 10 2003 - 01:43:21 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                            www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 06:31:34 +0100
             From: HuCo Conference <hucoconf@huco.arts.ualberta.ca>
             Subject: HUCO Conference cfp

    Bridging Dimensions
    Third Annual University of Alberta Humanities Computing Conference

    December 4-5, 2003
    University of Alberta
    Edmonton, Alberta

    Deadline for abstract submissions: Monday November 2, 2003

    "We will burn that bridge when we come to it" -Jonathan Wolfgang von
    Goethe

    The University of Alberta's M.A. in Humanities Computing program is
    pleased to announce its third annual graduate conference, "Bridging
    Dimensions," to be held December 4-5, 2003 at the University of Alberta in
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

    This conference will bring together students and scholars exploring the
    exciting and interdisciplinary field of computing and the humanities.
    Presentations on all aspects of humanities computing are welcome and we
    encourage proposals from all disciplines.

    Possible topics include (but are not limited to):

    Knowledge Representation
    -Mark-up languages
    -Modeling and simulation
    -Digitization of text, sounds, and images
    -Hypertext design and delivery

    Knowledge storage and manipulation
    -Metadata and learning objects
    -Databases
    -Electronic texts
    -Statistical methods and analysis

    Disciplinary Concerns
    -Information literacy
    -Computers and pedagogy
    -Humanities Computing as a discipline
    -History of computing
    -Electronic publishing and dissemination

    Technology and Epistemology
    -Cyber culture
    -Technology and gender
    -Multimedia theory
    -Post-humanism and the virtual body
    -Sociology and politics of technology

    300 word abstracts must be submitted by October 24, 2003. Please email
    your abstract as a MS Word, RTF, or WordPerfect attachment to:
    hucoconf@huco.ualberta.ca

    Or send to:
    Humanities Computing Conference
    3-5 Humanities Centre
    Edmonton, AB
    T6G 2E5

    Please include your name, telephone number, email address, and your
    institutional and departmental affiliation.

    For more information about the University of Alberta's M.A. in Humanities
    Computing program, please visit: http://www.huco.ualberta.ca