17.282 Distributed (on-line) learning?

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 02:17:29 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                            www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 06:59:27 +0100
             From: "David Carpenter" <dcarp@bellatlantic.net>
             Subject: Distributed (on-line) learning: request for information

    Dear Humanists,

    I was recently appointed to a university task force charged with
    implementing a prior task force's plan for introducing "distributed
    learning" courses into our curriculum. This effort is driven almost
    enitrely by the college of business, and I am one of only two humanities
    types on the task force. Unfortunately, I have no prior experience with
    on-line teaching, and am trying to get up to speed. I have a specific
    request. Can anyone point me to resources on on-line or distributed
    learning specifically in the humanities? I'm also interested in critiques
    of on-line learning in our fields (I'm in religious studies, specifically
    history of Asian religions). It is easy to see the utility of this approach
    for such things as professional training of post-baccalaureate adult
    learners, but I (and many of my colleagues) have concerns about trying to
    apply this model to liberal arts undergraduates. I found one post on this
    topic in the archives, and this may be a stale topic for many of you, but
    if anyone could point me to some helpful resources for examining this
    matter, I'd much appreciate it. Also, if anyone knows of specific
    humanities courses that have been taught successfully on-line, I'd very
    much like to know about them. I'm open to exploring the possibilities, but
    I am also rather cautious.

    Thanks in advance for any advice.

    David Carpenter
    St. Joseph's University