17.267 events: MCN2003; Rare Book School courses

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 01:33:15 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                            www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: "Sarah J. Segura" <sarah@ninch.org> (62)
             Subject: MCN2003: "Balancing Museum Technology and
                     Transformation"

       [2] From: Rare Book School <fac-fbap@virginia.edu> (37)
             Subject: EAD Etext XML courses at Rare Book School

             Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 06:28:18 +0100
             From: "Sarah J. Segura" <sarah@ninch.org>
             Subject: MCN2003: "Balancing Museum Technology and Transformation"

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    September 30, 2003

    Museum Computer Network
    <http://www.mcn.edu/Mcn2003/index.html>MCN2003: "Balancing Museum
    Technology and Transformation"
    Las Vegas, Nevada November 5 - 8, 2003

    >From: Amalyah Keshet
    > Head of Image Resources & Copyright Management
    > The Israel Museum, Jerusalem <http://www.imj.org.il>www.imj.org.il
    > Board of Directors, The Museum Computer Network
    > <http://www.mcn.edu>www.mcn.edu

    MCN invites you to attend the 31st annual meeting of the Museum Computer
    Network. <http://www.mcn.edu/Mcn2003/index.html>MCN2003: "Balancing Museum
    Technology and Transformation" takes place in Las Vegas, Nevada from
    November 5 through the 8th.

    Workshops, Sessions and More

    Register online at <http://www.mcn.edu/>www.mcn.edu to participate in four
    days of workshops, sessions and free-form discussions delving into every
    aspect of cultural heritage information management. Whether you're trying
    to develop an Intellectual Property policy for your institution, learn
    about the latest imaging technology from industry leaders, or explore the
    possibilities of building integrated library/museum/archival systems, this
    is the place to be. The MCN meeting is where museum technologists go to get
    the information they need and build the bridges they want to other
    professionals in the cultural heritage arena. Learn about the new
    technologies available and then see them in our tightly-focused Exhibition
    Hall.

    Balancing Museum Technology and Transformation

    As a challenging economic year for all, especially those of us in the
    museum and cultural heritage sector draws to a close, we want you to join
    us in looking ahead to a brighter future. In keeping with our theme we've
    asked our contributors to look at how the technology we're busy
    implementing is changing the way we work, how our institutions are being
    transformed by those technologies and how that transformation can be
    managed. We're offering a program that is both diverse and comprehensive.

    Go Off the Wall and Online, too

    We know travel budgets are tight so we've teamed up with the Northeast
    Document Conservation Center (NEDCC) to offer something special: MCN 2003
    is immediately preceded by the NEDCC's
    <http://www.nedcc.org/owolnv/owol1.htm>"Off the Wall and Online" workshop.
    If you're planning to attend the NEDCC workshop, you can get MCN member
    rates for the MCN meeting.

    Register Online

    You can learn all about the program and more on the MCN website, including
    information on sessions, presenters, workshops, travel and lodging.

    And for the first time, you can register for the MCN meeting online using
    our <http://www.mcn.edu/Mcn2003/confmain/index.html>secure form.

    Don't delay -- browse over to <http://www.mcn.edu/>www.mcn.edu and register
    today!

    --

    NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted; neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate reciprocal credit.

    For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor: <mailto:sarah@ninch.org> ----------------------------------------------------------------------- See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at <https://mail2.cni.org/Lists/NINCH-ANNOUNCE/>.

    --[2]------------------------------------------------------------------ Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 06:29:17 +0100 From: Rare Book School <fac-fbap@virginia.edu> Subject: EAD Etext XML courses at Rare Book School

    RARE BOOK SCHOOL (RBS) is pleased to announce its Winter and Early Spring Sessions 2004, a collection of five-day, non-credit courses on topics concerning rare books, manuscripts, the history of books and printing, and special collections to be held at the University of Virginia.

    FOR AN APPLICATION FORM and electronic copies of the complete brochure and the RBS Expanded Course Descriptions, providing additional details about the courses offered and other information about RBS, visit our Web site at:

    http://www.rarebookschool.org

    Subscribers to the list may find the following Rare Book School courses to be of particular interest:

    13 (L-70). ELECTRONIC TEXTS & IMAGES. (MONDAY-FRIDAY, 5-9 JANUARY). A practical exploration of the research, preservation, editing, and pedagogical uses of electronic texts and images in the humanities. The course will center around the creation of a set of archival-quality etexts and digital images, for which we shall also create an Encoded Archival Description guide. Topics include: SGML tagging and conversion; using the Text Encoding Initiative Guidelines; the form and implications of XML; publishing on the World Wide Web; and the management and use of online texts. Some experience with HTML is a prerequisite for admission to the course. Instructor: David Seaman

    DAVID SEAMAN became Director of the Digital Library Federation in 2002. He was the founding director of the internationally-known Electronic Text Center and on-line archive at the University of Virginia.

    24 (L-80). IMPLEMENTING ENCODED ARCHIVAL DESCRIPTION (MONDAY-FRIDAY, 8-12 MARCH). Encoded Archival Description (EAD) provides standardized machine-readable access to primary resource materials. This course is aimed at archivists, librarians, and museum personnel who would like an introduction to EAD that includes an extensive supervised hands-on component. Students will learn SGML encoding techniques in part using examples selected from among their own institutions' finding aids. Topics: the context out of which EAD emerged; introduction to the use of SGML authoring tools and browsers; the conversion of existing finding aids to EAD. Instructor: Daniel Pitti

    DANIEL PITTI became Project Director at the University of Virginia's Institute for Advanced Technology in 1997, before which he was Librarian for Advanced Technologies at the University of California, Berkeley. He was the Coordinator of the Encoded Archival Description initiative. He has taught this course since 1997, usually twice annually.