17.222 questions on courseware

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty ) (willard@mccarty.me.uk)
Date: Fri Sep 05 2003 - 04:45:44 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                            www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 09:38:36 +0100
             From: Heather Ward <hward@uoregon.edu>
             Subject: Re: 17.217 MIT Open Courseware & questions on courseware

    This is a particularly interesting question to me because I am concerned
    about the opposite situation. As universities move to proprietary course
    software (such as Blackboard or Web CT) it will be more difficult to share
    with each other or to browse the web to find out how others have approached
    a topic. I fear we'll be constantly reinventing the wheel. There probably
    is a danger of homogeneity, especially in undergraduate curricula in which
    many of the same issues need to be covered. However, as a librarian and an
    instructor, I believe freely available information from our colleagues can
    lead to more creative curricula when we adapt materials from a variety of
    courses to meet our local needs.

        Heather Ward

    > Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 09:23:22 +0100
    > From: "M. Zurat" <mjz3@lehigh.edu>

    <snip>

    >I fear as a student that while more Universities make their course materials
    >freely available online that there maybe more homogeny in the curriculum.
    >Especially here in the States it seems that university administrations often
    >pressure departments into the "follow the leader mentality" in their race to
    >raise admission statistics and funds. Any thoughts?
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >Michael Zurat

    Heather Ward hward@uoregon.edu
    Humanities Librarian (541)346-3047
    University of Oregon Libraries (541)346-3485 Fax
    Eugene, OR 97403-1299 http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~hward/