17.217 MIT Open Courseware & questions on courseware

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty ) (willard@mccarty.me.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 05:05:24 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                            www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 09:23:22 +0100
             From: "M. Zurat" <mjz3@lehigh.edu>
             Subject: MIT Open Course Ware

    Greetings Humanists,

    This may be of interest to some of you. As some of you all may know
    September marks the official launch of the MIT "OpenCourseWare" a free,
    open, publication of MIT Course Materials.

    All the courses available at this time are available at:
    http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html

    Being an undergraduate student in the USA, myself, what I thought was
    interesting was the striking similarities between my course work and those
    posted at MIT. I'm not sure if that means the academe, especially that of
    Cognitive Science is becoming dogmatized or developing a cohesive core? I
    fear as a student that while more Universities make their course materials
    freely available online that there maybe more homogeny in the curriculum.
    Especially here in the States it seems that university administrations often
    pressure departments into the "follow the leader mentality" in their race to
    raise admission statistics and funds. Any thoughts?

    Cheers

    Michael Zurat