17.180 OAI Service Providers?

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 01:26:05 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                            www.princeton.edu/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 06:18:09 +0100
             From: Gerry Mckiernan <gerrymck@IASTATE.EDU>
             Subject: OAI Service Providers

    OAI Service Providers

    I am greatly interested in identifying Any and All Major and Minor OAI
    Service Providers. I am aware of the Open Archives list of registered
    Service Providers

    [ http://www.openarchives.org/service/listproviders.html ]

    but realize that this is incomplete [Not that Any List Can Ever Be
    Complete][:-)]

    The Open Archives Initiative (OAI) [http://www.openarchives.org ] was
    conceived to develop and promote interoperability, with the aim of
    making it easy to disseminate and share content. Within the framework
    of the (OAI), participants are divided into two classes, 'data
    providers' and 'service providers':

    *Data Providers* support the OAI Protocol for Metadata Harvesting
    (OAI-PMH)
    [ http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.html ]
    as a means of exposing metadata that describes their resources,

    while

    *Service Providers* harvest metadata using the OAI-PMH as a basis for
    building value-added services.

    So far, I have identified the following OAI Service Providers:

    AmericanSouth.org
    [ http://www.americansouth.org/ ]

    ARC: A Cross-Archive Service
    [ http://arc.cs.odu.edu/ ]

    citebaseSearch
    [ http://citebase.eprints.org/ ]

    CYCLADES
    [ http://www.ercim.org/cyclades/ ]

    MetaArchive.org
    [ http://www.metaarchive.org ]

    NDLTD Union Catalog
    [ http://rocky.dlib.vt.edu/~etdunion/ ]

    Networked Computer Science Technical Reference Library
    [ http://www.ncstrl.org ]

    OAISter
    [ http://oaister.umdl.umich.edu/ ]

    Open Language Archives
       [http://www.language-archives.org ]

    Perseus
    [ http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/vor ]

    Public Knowledge Project Open Archives Harvester
    [ http://www.pkp.ubc.ca/harvester/ ]

    Scirus
    [ http://www.scirus.com ]

    Sheetmusic Service [Sheet Music Consortium]
    [ http://digital.library.ucla.edu/sheetmusic/ ]

    TORII
    [ http://torii.sissa.it/ ]

    UIUC Digital Gateway to Cultural Heritage Materials
    [ http://nergal.grainger.uiuc.edu/ ]

        As Always, Any and All contributions, comments, queries, critiques,
    questions, or Cosmic Insights are Most Welcome!

    Regards,

    Gerry

    Gerry McKiernan
    Service Librarian