17.114 research on blogging

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Jun 22 2003 - 04:26:07 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 09:18:00 +0100
             From: Matt Kirschenbaum <mgk3k@jefferson.village.Virginia.EDU>
             Subject: Re: 17.110 research on blogging?

    > Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 08:43:51 +0100
    > From: Alexandre Enkerli <enkerli@unb.ca>
    > >
    > [Yes, the informality is intended. Let's hope it doesn't rub against the
    > grain...]
    >
    > Hello,
    > Anyone here doing research on blogging and related phenomena (Wiki, RSS,
    > Slashdot...)? Just curious.

    If research consists in doing, then yes. I keep a blog at:

    http://www.otal.umd.edu/~mgk/blog/

    And I'd be curious to know about other Humanists who blog.

    FWIW, here's something I had posted to my blog several months ago:

    "Earlier I had said, none too originally, that the blog seems to
    represent the next stage of evolution for the personal homepage. I still
    think that's true, but my recent immersion in blogging has also brought
    home to me the importance of feedback, interaction,
    multi-directionality. You post and then wait for comments and
    trackbacks. You log on in the morning and look at your blogroll to see
    who's updated. It seems to me that blogs are filling the vacuum created
    by the demise of many listserv discussion groups, at least in those
    corners of the academic world I inhabit. Conversations that would have
    once taken place on list have moved to the blogosphere, which functions
    as a richer, more granular, and--this is what's most
    important--self-organizing discourse network."

    Blogs (and some of the other networked writing enviroments like Wikis)
    are really pushing the technical edge these days in terms of hypertext
    and collaborative discourse. Trackback, which is implemented in Movable
    Type and several other blogging tools, is particularly worthy of note
    because it's enabled what are essentially the first true peer-to-peer
    links on the Web. Matt
    StartOfEnvelope:
    ExternalSender:y