17.068 anti-spamming software?

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 02:12:21 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 07:07:17 +0100
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: anti-spamming devices?

    The sight just now of a message promising in its subject-line "a lean, fit
    and young humanist" -- surely a challenge to us all (present company
    excepted, of course :-) -- put me in mind of anti-spamming software. To
    date I have tried the Blue Squirrel offering, Spam Sleuth (ca $30 US), and
    more recently Spam Assassin http://au.spamassassin.org/ (free).

    The former has numerous intriguing bells and whistles and works quite well
    -- except for the fact that in my experience it on occasion keeps back
    messages that it has nevertheless classified as good. (A message of
    complaint to the manufacturer received only a "do it right"-style response,
    and since I was already doing it right, I was annoyed.) Spam Sleuth also
    keeps messages back by storing them in its own internal files, and as far
    as I know provides no way other than an executive rating-change to forward
    a message to the in-box of one's e-mail client, which as noted doesn't
    always work.

    The latter works only slightly less well but so far has not kept back any
    messages that it shouldn't have. The messages thought to be spam are simply
    put in a folder in one's e-mail client and so are easily fetched if need
    be. The price is persuasive.

    Are there other anti-spamming devices we should all know about?

    Yours,
    WM

    Dr Willard McCarty | Senior Lecturer | Centre for Computing in the
    Humanities | King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS || +44 (0)20
    7848-2784 fax: -2980 || willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk
    www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/