17.037 senior position in humanities computing

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 02:10:26 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 06:54:05 +0100
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: senior position in humanities computing

    Dear colleagues:

    I wish to draw your attention to a senior position in humanities computing
    at the University of Waterloo, Canada, one of the top-level Canada Research
    Chairs, broadly defined for "Language and Culture" in order to attract
    applications from a wide variety of scholarly backgrounds. The competition
    is open until 15 June. A description of the position is at
    http://www.universityaffairs.ca/career_ads/current/languageculture05_e.html.
    Anyone who wishes to discuss the position is welcome to contact Dr Riemer
    Faber, Chair, Department of Classics, <rfaber@watarts.uwaterloo.ca>.

    According to my sources, the competition is in fact wide-open, and because
    it is at a senior level, considerable flexibility would be possible for the
    right sort of candidate. Whatever we do we should ensure that a genuinely
    strong field is represented and that the person who is appointed will do
    well for us.

    Canada is a wonderful country in which to live, as I know from having spent
    20 years there. The CRC scheme is a remarkable attempt to strengthen
    research across the disciplines in Canada. It has already benefitted our
    field considerably. The University of Waterloo is the top engineering
    school in the country, with a very strong department of computer science,
    and one that I suspect would be quite friendly to the holder of this CRC
    position. You may recall the pioneering work on the Oxford English
    Dictionary carried out at Waterloo in conjunction with members of that
    department.

    Please circulate the advert as widely as possible.

    Yours,
    WM

    Dr Willard McCarty | Senior Lecturer | Centre for Computing in the
    Humanities | King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS || +44 (0)20
    7848-2784 fax: -2980 || willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk
    www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/