16.638 new on WWW: Collections Online; Technology Watch Report

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 06:15:44 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (55)
             Subject: Collections Online (Harvard)

       [2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (79)
             Subject: European "Technology Watch Report"

             Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 11:02:45 +0100
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    April 22, 2003

                        Harvard University Art Museums Announce
                          Latest Edition of Collections Online
                            http://www.artmuseums.harvard.edu

    >Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 12:48:02 -0400
    >To: members@mediaandtechnology.org
    >From: Sam Quigley <sam_quigley@harvard.edu>

    Please forgive the cross postings

    Harvard University Art Museums (the Fogg, the Arthur M. Sackler, and the
    Busch-Reisinger Museums) is pleased to announce the third data upload to
    its searchable database, Collections Online, available to the public at
    http://www.artmuseums.harvard.edu

    This research discovery tool now provides basic information on about 76,000
    objects more than half of the permanent collection. Deeper cataloguing
    data, such as bibliography, marks and inscriptions, provenance, and
    exhibition history, are included for about 10,000 of these objects.

    Approximately 12,500 object records are illustrated with images currently,
    and this number is growing rapidly. Increasing the number of images
    representing objects in the searchable database is one of the primary
    objectives the Art Museums has articulated for its digital initiative in
    the upcoming year.
    Collections Online also includes a number of Tours, which are groupings of
    objects, pre-assembled according to various thematic principles. Initially,
    four Masterpieces of the Art Museums' Tours, chosen by the Art Museums'
    former Director, James Cuno, were presented. In addition, these are now
    augmented with tours of two special exhibitions, namely A Private Passion:
    19th-Century Paintings and Drawings from the Grenville L. Winthrop
    Collection, and Bruegel To Rembrandt: Dutch and Flemish Drawings from the
    Maida and George Abrams Collection.

    It is our hope that making this data available will prove useful to the
    scholarly community as a reference and discovery tool, especially to those
    preparing to visit the Art Museums to conduct research. Recognizing that
    the amount and extent of information online will never be complete, email
    and telephone contact information for each curatorial department is
    prominently displayed, as is information about how to set up appointments
    for close inspection of the objects. As internal cataloging and research
    continues a normal part of curatorial activity future uploads of
    additional information and images will increase the usefulness of
    Collections Online over time.

    For information about the technical infrastructure supporting Collections
    Online, see
    http://www.artmuseums.harvard.edu/collections/servlet/webpublisher.WebCommunication?ia=tr&ic=pt&t=xhtml&x=techinfo

    We invite you to use this resource and welcome your comments and critiques.
    Sam Quigley, Director
    Digital Information and Technology
    Harvard University Art Museums
    32 Quincy Street