16.558 success forgets: premature senescence of equipment

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty ) (willard@mccarty.me.uk)
Date: Sun Mar 16 2003 - 03:41:29 EST

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 08:31:48 +0000
             From: Matthew Zimmerman <mz34@nyu.edu>
             Subject: Re: 16.546 success forgets: premature senescence of equipment

    Neven,

    I would say your analysis is correct. It is a combination of the natural
    desire to "progress" and aggressive marketing. I think most people use
    about 5% of the features of a product like MS Word, even though it has been
    "updated and improved" many times. I suppose if your job is to develop
    software, you naturally keep trying to make it better. With the
    "improvement" of software comes the need of faster hardware, even though
    most do not need the better software or the faster hardware.

    It would serve most of us well to really consider if we do need to
    "updgrade" and then decide if compatibility is really an issue. Microsoft
    makes most of its sales on this fear of incompatibility, but often this is
    an unwarranted fear. Most word processors do the trick for the documents I
    need to produce, and they all save in text and RTF format, so I stick with
    my trusty BBEdit. But it is really hard to convince some people that they
    wont be "behind the curve" if they don't upgrade.

    Matt

    On Tuesday, March 11, 2003, at 01:49 AM, Humanist Discussion Group (by way
    of Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>) wrote:

    > Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 16, No. 546.
    > Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London
    > www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
    > Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu
    >

    > Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 06:42:26 +0000
    > From: Neven Jovanovic <neven.jovanovic@zg.tel.hr>
    > >
    >Maybe it's my field talking (classical philology is notoriously
    >conservative), but there is e. g. computer software--not to speak of the
    >hardware--which is not yet obsolete when the new version arrives--in a way,
    >becoming history before it had time to mature; I mean, software with some
    >features which perfectly suit my needs, or with other I have not even had
    >an opportunity to explore. And then--all too quickly--there arise questions
    >of compatibility (with colleagues and students who regularly update)... A
    >case of head-over-heels progress? Hubris or aggressive marketing strategies?
    >Neven
    MZ
    Matthew Zimmerman
    Humanities Computing Group, NYU
    Tel: 212.998.3038
    Fax: 212.995.4120

    Dr Willard McCarty | Senior Lecturer | Centre for Computing in the
    Humanities | King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS || +44 (0)20
    7848-2784 fax: -2980 || willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk
    www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/