16.516 data modelling for a history of the book

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 01 2003 - 06:46:52 EST

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 11:25:15 +0000
             From: Stephen Miller <Stephen.Miller@assoc.oeaw.ac.at>
             Subject: Re: 16.509 data modelling for a history of the book?

    >[snip]
    >
    >But at this stage what is the next step beyond the justaposed image and
    >descriptive text? Do we, for example, image-map the visual object to attach
    >hypertextual commentary? Do we record the location of objects (such as
    >marginalia, doodles, typographic devices etc.) within the book-opening so
    >that we may compute with them? Or is all this vanity and a vexation of the
    >spirit?

    One answer:

    "I am inclined to think there is more in the flyleaf of a book than one
    would at first expect. If one picks up at an old book-stall a relic "E
    libris Joh. Smith," it certainly is not a very great treasure for its
    owner's sake, but if the name be not quite so common, if it be that of a
    great man or of a semi-great man, the volume commands a higher price for
    the autograph... But the value becomes increased if there be, besides the
    name, an ink-note in the same hand, letting you know some private feeling,
    or some little circumstance, connected with the former possessor. If the
    owner were not a great man, at least he will have been a reading man; and
    thus, if one does not gain the pleasure of holding converse with a
    master-spirit of the past, at any rate there is before him the type of a
    class by no means uninfluential in bygone days. He gains a nearer insight
    into the every-day life of our ancestors, and a minuter acquaintance with
    their habits."

    J.T. Jeffcock, "MS. Initial Book-Notes." Notes & Queries. 12 (1855):298-99.

    Stephen Miller

    sterreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften
    Austrian Academy Corpus / Kommission fr literarische Gebrauchsformen
    Sonnenfelsgasse 19/8, A-1010 Wien, Austria.

    Tel. +43-1-51581-2306 Fax +43-1-51581-2339 Handy +43-(0)669-123-147-06
    WWW http://www.oeaw.ac.at/~litgeb/