16.500 anti-spam

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 06:02:57 EST

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: Robin Smith <rasmith@aristotle.tamu.edu> (45)
             Subject: Re: 16.497 anti-spam device for ELM?

       [2] From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance) (101)
             Subject: Generations and Generators: KM

             Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:26:47 +0000
             From: Robin Smith <rasmith@aristotle.tamu.edu>

    <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>)" <willard@lists.village.virginia.edu> writes:

    > would any of the subscribers to Humanist have a wee bit
    > of technical knowledge to share? i've come across
    > someone using a very smart automated response system
    > for dealing with spam. A message is sent on the first
    > occasion of contact requesting confirmation. I quote
    > from one such message:

    This is probably a message from a whitelist generator. Spam killers do
    often block legitimate emails; one solution is to maintain a whitelist of
    users from whom mail will be accepted. On the assumption that spam usually
    has forged return addresses or worse, one way to generate such a list is to
    ask for confirmations from messages that come (or appear to come) from
    addresses not on the whitelist. A confirming reply to a request indicates
    that (1) the reply path is real, not forged, and (2) there is something at
    the other end with enough intelligence to respond to the request (a human,
    one hopes).

    > Does anyone know of how to set something like this up
    > with ELM?

    These things are usually implemented at the MRA level (Mail Relay
    Agent), e.g. sendmail or packages like PerlMX, not at the level of
    user agents such as Elm (though you could write your own procmail
    rules). If the spam isn't dropped at the mail relay level, then it's
    still imposing a load on the system.

    > I confess I still use ELM because of its
    > bounce feature which has permitted me and countless
    > retro-Unix fans to make those offending servers take a
    > hit. I do like the method outlined above as being even
    > more efficient and effective. A would be spam sender
    > would face server crash if the request for confirmation
    > was sent back for every message sent out.

    Bouncing spam is generally a waste of time, since there's no reason to suppose
    any of the reply information in the header is reliable. (You could perhaps
    extract a reliable address from the 'envelope'). Moreover, spam often
    comes from hijacked accounts or throwaway accounts, and the spammer doesn't
    care
    if such accounts are overwhelmed (the spammer's ISP might, of course). The
    reply also doubles the load on one's local mail relay. In my opinion, the best
    thing to do with spam is drop it silently (and, if there were only a way to
    identify
    it reliably, at the mail-relay level).

    Robin Smith
    Department of Philosophy rasmith@tamu.edu
    Texas A&M University Voice (979) 845-5696
    College Station, TX 77843-4237 FAX (979) 845-0458