16.469 books

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 01:59:49 EST

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: Peter Lunenfeld <peterl@artcenter.edu> (23)
             Subject: Writing Machines Web Supplement & WebTake

       [2] From: Patrick Durusau <pdurusau@emory.edu> (19)
             Subject: Update on "Digital Developments in Higher Education"

             Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 06:49:31 +0000
             From: Peter Lunenfeld <peterl@artcenter.edu>

    Writing Machines, written by N. Katherine Hayles, and designed by Anne
    Burdick, is the latest in the Mediawork Pamphlet series. Writing Machines
    has already been hailed for its exploration of how literature has
    transformed itself from inscriptions rendered as the flat durable marks of
    print to the dynamic images of CRT screens, from verbal texts to the diverse
    sensory modalities of multimedia works, from books to technotexts.

    Erik Loyer's delightful interactive, animated, WebTake, "Hollowbound Book"
    has already been made available on the Mediawork site. It is now joined by
    the Writing Machines Web Supplement, an extension of the book.

    The Supplement includes an interactive lexicon linkmap, index, bibliography,
    notes, and errata, and offers alternative mappings of the book's conceptual
    terrain with functionalities unavailable in print.

    Completing the cycle of remediation, the Supplement gives the user the
    ability to customize his or her own copy of the book by providing Adobe
    Acrobat .pdf files for each section, some of which are formatted in
    "printer's spreads" that can be printed out, folded, and inserted into the
    body of the book itself.

    All this and more, including information on ordering the book and a
    comprehensive interview with the author and designer is available at:

    http://mitpress.mit.edu/mediawork

    Peter Lunenfeld
    Editorial Director
    Mediawork Pamphlet Series