16.464 confirmation of likely words, approximately

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 02:38:55 EST

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: John Lavagnino <John.Lavagnino@kcl.ac.uk> (16)
             Subject: Re: 16.461 confirmation of likely words?

       [2] From: Michael Hart <hart@beryl.ils.unc.edu> (13)

             Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 07:17:35 +0000
             From: John Lavagnino <John.Lavagnino@kcl.ac.uk>

    Matt Kirschenbaum writes---

    > I'm trying to track down a discussion by Umberto Eco where he
    > defines information as something like (I'm paraphrasing) the
    > confirmation of unlikely facts. For example, if I'm told by a
    > landlord that an apartment will cost $550 to rent, that's
    > _information_ because it's unlikely that the apartment would
    > have cost $550 (as opposed to $449 or $551 or $448 or $552,
    > etc.)

    I don't know about Eco's discussion, but much the same idea is part of
    information theory as developed by Claude Shannon and the like. One
    discussion that has a good survey of manifestations of the idea is
    Charles Cole, "Shannon Revisited: Information in Terms of
    Uncertainty", *Journal of the American Society for Information
    Science* 44:4, May 1993, 204-211.

    John Lavagnino