16.457 reviewed in Computing Reviews

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 02:24:34 EST

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2003 07:15:00 +0000
             From: Patrick Durusau <pdurusau@emory.edu>
             Subject: Reviewed in Computing Reviews

    Willard,

    The February issue of "Computing Reviews" has reviews of several items that
    I thought would be of interest to the list. (I tried searching the Humanist
    archives for prior notices about these works but the search interface does
    not seem to lend itself to that use. Are the archives available for dowload
    so I could index and search them locally?)

    "The intelligent wireless Web" Alesso, H. Peter and Smith, Craig F.;
    Addison-Wesley Longman Publishing Co., ISBN 0-201-73063-4.

    Covers wireless technology, AI and web services.

    "Distributed virtual worlds: foundations and implementation techniques
    using VRML, Java, and Cobra" Diehl, Stephan; Springer-Verlag New York,
    Inc., ISBN 3-540-67624-4.

    Developing 3D web applications. Requires strong Java background.

    "Digital developments in higher education: theory and practice" Roberts,
    Peter, and Chambers, Mark; Taylor Graham Publishing, ISBN 0-947568-78-6.

    High on my list to read as it is reported to contain papers by those who
    *use* technology in education as well as those who theorize about its use.
    Interesting description of the tension between the two. (No I won't say
    what tension is described. Read the review or better yet, read the book and
    report back to the Humanist list. I hope to do the latter myself.)

    "Smart machines in education" Forbus, Kenneth and Feltovich, Paul; MIT
    Press, ISBN 022561417

    Good review of current educational technology.

    "The wired tower: perspectives on the impact of the Internet on higher
    education" Pittinsky, Matthew; Financial Times/Prentice Hall, ISBN 0130428299.

    Covers a wide range of issues relating to the use of the Internet in higher
    education. (Another one that I think will be a "must" read.)

    "Digital watermarking: a guide for programmers and technical managers" Cox,
    Ingemar; Miller, Matthew; Bloom, Jeffrey; Morgan Kaufman Publishers, Inc.,
    ISBN 1-55860-714-5

    I mention this one because of the growing interest in making original
    manuscripts available over the Internet. This looks like a very good
    collection of information on a new technology that may help relieve some of
    the fears about placing images of original materials online.

    Depending upon your interests, there are several other items in the latest
    issue of Computing Reviews and the ones I mention are only those of
    personal interest or that I recongize might be of more general interest.
    Computing Reviews is highly recommended reading.

    Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend!

    Patrick

    --
    Patrick Durusau