16.452 new Virtual Lightbox released

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Feb 01 2003 - 02:35:59 EST

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2003 07:28:05 +0000
             From: Matt Kirschenbaum <mk235@umail.umd.edu>
             Subject: virtual lightbox release

    --=====================_652812==.ALT

    January 31, 2003

    We are pleased to announce a new release of the Virtual Lightbox, a
    software tool for comparing images online:

    http://www.mith2.umd.edu/products/lightbox/

    Begun at the University of Kentucky, this project is now supported by
    the Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities (MITH) at the
    University of Maryland.

    The Virtual Lightbox exists in two versions, an application and an
    applet (both programmed in Java). The *applet* version, which is newly
    developed, furnishes what we believe to be an extremely flexible
    environment for online image comparison. Its primary audience is
    developers who wish to add an image comparison tool to a Web-based image
    collection. Simple server-side scripting allows users to populate the
    Lightbox applet in any number of ways. A live demo of the applet is
    available here:

    http://www.mith2.umd.edu/products/lightbox/sistine/example.html

    The *application* version, which was developed earlier, allows users to
    share images in peer-to-peer fashion: all users participating in a
    common session see the same images in the same on-screen configuration
    at the same time. Movement of an image and other operations are all
    globally propagated in realtime. Thus the application version functions
    as an image-based whiteboard.

    Comparison, which John Unsworth calls a "scholarly primitive," is a
    basic and probably intuitive operation that is nonetheless not well
    supported--for images anyway--by conventional Web browser technology.
    That is, users have no ability to move, juxtapose, or otherwise
    reposition images beyond the configuration in which they are delivered
    by a static page layout. As rich image collections continue to come
    online, it's becoming increasingly apparent that end-users lack the
    tools to exploit such resources to their full potential. The Lightbox is
    one attempt to meet this need. Though its target audience is in the
    academic humanities and the library and museum community, we expect the
    Lightbox to find users far removed from this sphere; indeed, we
    anticipate it will be of interest to anyone for whom images constitute
    an important data type.

    The Virtual Lightbox joins the recently released Versioning Machine as a
    free and open source MITH Product, distributed under the terms and
    conditions of the GNU General Public License. For more about MITH,
    please visit its homepage:

    http://www.mith.umd.edu

    Comments, questions, and bug reports may be addressed to:
    lightbox-feedback@mith2.umd.edu

    Matthew G. Kirschenbaum, Amit Kumar, Susan Schreibman