16.409 Shock of the Old (Oxford)

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Jan 12 2003 - 04:49:09 EST

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 09:30:44 +0000
             From: "Nancy Weitz" <nancy.weitz@oucs.ox.ac.uk>
             Subject: Extended deadline for CFPs -- Shock of the Old, Oxford

    * Please forward to relevant lists and individuals *

    CALL FOR PAPERS -- deadline extended to 20th January

    The Shock of the Old 3: Designing and Developing for the Disciplines 10th
    April, 2003 University of Oxford

    The Learning Technologies Group at Oxford University Computing Services is
    pleased to announce our third annual conference on educational technologies.
    Shock 3 will explore the problems and issues involved in designing and
    developing learning technologies for particular disciplines and subjects.

    We are interested in receiving abstracts for 20-minute talks that consider
    one or more of the following questions:
    * What kinds of technologies are becoming most widely used to teach
    sciences, humanities, arts, social sciences? Why?
    * What are the particular requirements for creating materials suited to
    various disciplines/subjects?
    * Are truly generic or completely non-disciplinary materials possible (or
    desirable)?
    * Should we be striving for the generic "ber-tool" or making the most of
    disciplinary differences?
    * In seeking to make generic tools might we be imposing the methodologies of
    one discipline onto another?
    * How can discipline- or subject-specific materials be adapted for different
    disciplines or subjects? Are there any commonalities in tools for teaching,
    say, literature, chemistry, economics?
    * What differences are thus exposed or created in the underlying teaching
    (and research) practices?
    * Conversely, can disciplinary differences expose methodological assumptions
    in the technologies?
    * Do disciplinary differences affect the ways new technologies are best
    integrated into teaching practice?
    * Are proprietary solutions and "corporatization" of learning technologies
    shaping the way subjects are taught? If so, is this leading to increased or
    decreased choice and flexibility?

    Talks that describe or demonstrate specific projects, tools and technologies
    are welcome, but we will give priority to those that do so within the
    context of the conference questions.

    Please send 300-word abstracts (in-message or RTF) to ltg@oucs.ox.ac.uk
    Email submissions strongly encouraged! (but address and fax below) REVISED
    DUE DATE: 20th JANUARY, 5:00 pm.

    The conference website is: http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ltg/events/shock/
    [More information and registration instructions will be added to this site
    as conference details are confirmed.]

    As last year, this conference will be in conjunction with other events
    during the week, which will be advertised shortly.

    If you have questions, please contact the coordinators:

    Dr. Nancy Weitz: nancy.weitz@oucs.ox.ac.uk
    Dr. Marina Cacioppo: marina.cacioppo@oucs.ox.ac.uk

    Learning Technologies Group
    Oxford University Computing Services
    13 Banbury Road | Oxford OX2 6NN
    Tel: 01865 273221 | Fax: 01865 273275 http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ltg/

    * supported by the Association for Learning Technology *