16.401 review of Culture, Technology, Communication; CATaC

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 08:00:43 EST

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 09:57:14 +0000
             From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
             Subject: review of Culture, Technology, Communication; CATaC

    Humanists will likely be interested in a very recent review of Charles Ess
    and Fay Sudweeks, eds., Culture, Technology, Communication: Towards an
    Intercultural Global Village (SUNY Press, 2001), by Michel J Menou (City
    University, London), in the Resource Center for Cyberculture Studies, at
    http://www.com.washington.edu/rccs/booklist.asp. Those who are unaware of
    the conference series from which this book comes, Cultural Attitudes
    Towards Technology and Communication (CATaC), the review and reply by Ess
    and Sudweeks will provide a good introduction. As Menou says in the first
    paragraph of his review,

    >Among the many articles of faith brought by contemporary ICTheria is the
    >notion of a new culture taking shape in a cyberspace that would be
    >populated by ethereal creatures belonging only to this new universe.
    >Within such a context, this book is extremely useful in bringing the hot
    >air balloon closer to the ground. Even the dogs that covertly exchange
    >emails, according to a famous cartoon, have a real dog's life, like most
    >other users of the Internet.

    The interesting problem, of course, is how life in the balloon and life on
    the ground interact, how life changes as a result of the choices we make,
    don't make, cannot make. For me the work of CATaC is one of the several
    signs that life in the large and ill-defined commons we inhabit and study
    is maturing. In any case, if CATaC comes within physical range, I recommend
    it strongly. Otherwise, there's the book reviewed above and the Proceedings
    volumes of CATaC 2000 (Perth) and 2002 (Montreal), for which see
    http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/~sudweeks/catac02/.

    Yours,
    WM

    Dr Willard McCarty | Senior Lecturer | Centre for Computing in the
    Humanities | King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS || +44 (0)20
    7848-2784 fax: -2980 || willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk
    www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/