16.375 encoded text vs database

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Dec 09 2002 - 03:01:11 EST

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: cbf@socrates.Berkeley.EDU (37)
             Subject: Re: 16.372 encoded text vs database?

       [2] From: "Borovsky, Zoe" <zoe@humnet.ucla.edu> (39)

             Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 07:51:16 +0000
             From: cbf@socrates.Berkeley.EDU

    Willard asks:

    > A technical question: what might be reliable criteria for determining when
    > a given research problem involving textual data is approached with
    > relational database technology, when with text encoding? A related
    > non-technical question: how does one cultivate the ability to keep such
    > questions always in mind? As has been said, we tend to view each thing
    > as something to be hammered with the hammer in hand.

    This is of more than theoretical interest for librarians and cataloguers.
    Having used both database technology and text encoding for medieval
    manuscript cataloguing. There is no question that databases allow much
    more sophisticated query and sorting capabilities. Right now the text
    encoded projects with which I am familiar only allow string searches,
    sometimes within a given tag, but with no way to sort the output or do the
    "find me all the MSS written in Florence between 1400 and 1450 on
    parchment and with illustrations and sort them by author and date."

    On the other hand, text encoding captures much better the messiness of the
    data. I don't know positively, but I do not think it is possible to OCR a
    printed text and then put it into a relational database without losing a
    lot of the stuff that doesn't fit in any particular field. Text encoding
    is quite good at this.

    I know that Timino is making it possible to do database-like searching on
    text encoded material, e.g., materials encoded using the Encoded Archival
    Description format.

    I'd love to have my cake and eat it, too.

    Charles Faulhaber The Bancroft Library UC Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
    (510) 642-3782 FAX (510) 642-7589 cfaulhab@library.berkeley.edu