16.332 reasoning

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 01:54:36 EST

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: Willard McCarty <willard@mccarty.me.uk> (142)
             Subject: reason

       [2] From: Norman Hinton <hinton@springnet1.com> (2)
             Subject: Re: 16.328 physical reasoning

       [3] From: Matthew Stephens <matt@panopticon.ucs.ualberta.ca> (39)
             Subject: Re: 16.326 thinking physically

             Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 06:39:41 +0000
             From: Willard McCarty <willard@mccarty.me.uk>

    With regards to the title of a recent book on modelling, Model-Based
    Reasoning: Science, Technology, Values, Francois Lachance asks why I said I
    was bothered by the word "reasoning" in the title, esp. in light of the
    physicality in perceptual simulations that one article in this book
    discusses. Good question.

    Elijah Millgram, in his article on "practical reasoning" in the online
    Dictionary of Philosophy of Mind,
    <http://artsci.wustl.edu/~philos/MindDict/practicalreasoning.html>, asks a
    series of questions that seem to me a better response than I could give. In
    other words, I think I'm bothered because we need to ask precisely what we
    mean by "reasoning" when used to describe what happens in modelling. I
    quote below a somewhat edited version of the entry on "reason" from the
    Oxford English Dictionary to indicate that the semantic field of
    possibilities is vast. It is also useful to consider what happens to the
    idea when it is automated, for which see Frederic Portoraro's article on
    "automated reasoning" in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy,
    <http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/reasoning-automated/>.

    Yours,
    WM

> [...]
    >7. (Without article.)
    >a. by (_or for) reason of, on account of.
    >Very common in the Bible of 1611.
    >b. by reason (that), for the reason that, because. (Freq. _ 1560 to 1720;
    >now rare.)
    >8. (Without article, and sometimes with adj., as good, great, little, small.)
    >a. there is (was, etc.) reason. Also with omission of verb (sometimes not
    >clearly distinct from 14).
    >b. to have reason for, or to do, something. Also ellipt. without
    >construction (cf. 17).
    >c. to see reason (to do something).
    >d. with or without reason.
    >9. Rationale, fundamental principle, basis. Obs.
    >III. 10. a. That intellectual power or faculty (usually regarded as
    >characteristic of mankind, but sometimes also attributed in a certain
    >degree to the lower animals) which is ordinarily employed in adapting
    >thought or action to some end; the guiding principle of the human mind in
    >the process of thinking. (Freq. more or less personified.)
    >b. So (good or) right reason. Now rare.
    >Perhaps sometimes understood as in sense 11.
    >c. In the Kantian transcendental philosophy: The power (Vernunft) by which
    >first principles are grasped a priori, as distinguished from understanding
    >(Verstand).
    >d. In various mystic or transcendental uses: (see quots.).
    >e. the age of reason, (a) (freq. with capital initials) the late
    >seventeenth and eighteenth centuries in Western Europe, during which
    >cultural life was characterized by faith in human reason; the
    >Enlightenment (cf. enlightenment 2); (b) R.C. Ch., the age at which a
    >child is capable of discerning right from wrong and can be held
    >responsible for his or her actions; also loosely.
    >11. a. The ordinary thinking faculty of the human mind in a sound
    >condition; sanity.
    >b. A reasonable or sensible view of a matter; chiefly in phr. to bring to
    >reason.
    >12. In verbal phrases denoting the conformity of something to the dictates
    >of reason:
    >a. reason will or would. Obs.
    >b. it stands (_with or) to reason.
    >13. In prepositional phrases (chiefly Obs.), denoting agreement with, or
    >opposition to, what reason directs or indicates:
    >a. by reason (= OF. par raison). Also rarely by good (or right) reason, by
    >no reason. Obs.
    >b. in reason. Also in all or any reason; _ upon reason.
    >c. of reason. Also with all, good. Obs.
    >d. out of reason. Obs.
    >e. through (good or right) reason. Obs.
    >f. with (or to) reason. Also with no. Obs.
    >g. without (right) reason. Obs.
    >14. a. A matter, act, proceeding, etc., agreeable to reason; in phrases it
    >is reason or reason is (also with good, great), it is no (or not) reason,
    >to think (it) reason, etc. Freq. c 1400_1650; now rare.
    >So OF. il est raison, c'est (bien) raison, c'est raison et droit, etc.
    >b. In parenthetic phrases, as reason is (or was), as (it) is reason, etc.
    Obs.
    >c. and reason, placed after a statement. Obs.
    >d. Similarly and good reason, and (rarely as) reason good. Obs. (Cf. 8 a.)
    >15. a. That treatment which may with reason be expected by, or required
    >from, a person; justice; satisfaction; chiefly in phr. to do (one) reason
    >(tr. F. faire raison). Obs.
    >b. With reference to drinking. Obs. exc. arch.
    >16. a. A reasonable quantity, amount, or degree. Also spec. the measure by
    >which a miller took his toll. Obs.
    >b. Moderation. Obs.1
    >17. to have reason (tr. F. avoir raison): to be right (esp. in making a
    >statement). Obs. (Cf. 8 b.)
    >18. a. The fact or quality of being agreeable to the reason; such a
    >(_procedure or) view of things as the reason can approve of.
    >b. In phrases to hear, listen to, or speak reason.
    >IV. 19. The exercise of reason; the act of reasoning or argumentation. Obs.
    >20. Consideration, regard, respect. Obs.
    >21. a. Way, manner, method; spec. the method of a science. Obs.
    >b. Possibility of action or occurrence. Const. but. Obs. rare.
    >22. Math. = ratio n. 2. Obs.
    >V. 23. attrib. and Comb. (chiefly objective and obj. gen.), as
    >reason-monger, -plating (after armour-plating), -poisoning, -renderer,
    >-scanner, -worship; reason-contained, -derived, -giving, -proof, -wrought
    >adjs.; reason-ring, a ring bearing a _reason' or motto.

    Dr Willard McCarty | Senior Lecturer | Centre for Computing in the
    Humanities | King's College London | Strand | London WC2R 2LS || +44 (0)20
    7848-2784 fax: -2980 || willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk
    www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/