16.328 physical reasoning

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty ) (willard@mccarty.me.uk)
Date: Sun Nov 17 2002 - 02:49:40 EST

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 07:43:36 +0000
             From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance)
             Subject: Re: 16.326 thinking physically

    Willard,

    Philologically "reasoning" invites one to the physicality of the "ratio".

    > (Kluwer, 2002). I wonder, given Craig et al., if anyone is bothered, as I
    > am, by the word "reasoning" in the title of that book? It seems to me to
    > identify the wrong sort of cognition.

    Given a stimulus:

    _____ ------ _____

    **** ____ ---- ___

    *** ----- &&&&&

    one could generate a grammar rules such as a grouping of hyphens (---) is
    never found in an initial position in a line or found in a terminal
    position.

    The static image has become animated in the mind.

    Can you explain what might bother you in applying the term "reasoning" to
    cognitive work and play that involves entities that are not words or
    verbal artefacts? Am I off the mark in assuming the source of what may be
    bothering you?

    The animated universe can be stilled in the mind.

    Is it the emphasis on movement in Craig et al. that jars associations one
    may have of "reasoning" with "contemplation?

    --
    Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large,
    knows no "no exit" in a hypertext