16.311 conferences, symposium, workshop

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2002 - 06:02:28 EST

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: steven.krauwer@elsnet.org (23)
             Subject: EACL2003 Workshop CfP: 9th European Workshop on
                     Natural Language Generation

       [2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (31)
             Subject: MIT Launches its DSpace project with Symposium

       [3] From: carolyn guertin <cguertin@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> (138)
             Subject: Interactive futures conference

       [4] From: "Rayson, Paul"
    <rayson@exchange.lancs.ac.uk> (128)
             Subject: Fw: Corpus Linguistics 2003 conference

             Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 09:46:54 +0000
             From: steven.krauwer@elsnet.org
             Subject: EACL2003 Workshop CfP: 9th European Workshop on Natural
    Language Generation

                                 Call for Papers

                9th EUROPEAN WORKSHOP ON NATURAL LANGUAGE GENERATION
                           (in conjunction with EACL2003)

                                13-14 April 2003
                                Budapest, Hungary

                 (http://www.ags.uni-sb.de/~horacek/EACL-EWNLG03.html)

    Natural language generation (NLG) is a subfield of natural language
    processing that focuses on the generation of written texts in English
    or other human languages, generally from some non-linguistic data or
    knowledge. Accomplishing this goal may be envisioned for a number of
    different purposes, including standardized and/or multi-lingual
    reports, summaries, machine translation, dialog applications, and
    embedding in multi-media and hypertext environments. Consequently, the
    automated production of language is associated with a large number of
    highly diverse tasks whose appropriate orchestration in high quality
    poses a variety of theoretical and practical problems. Relevant issues
    include content selection, text organization, the production of
    referring expressions, aggregation, lexicalization, and surface
    realization, as well as coordination with other media.

    This workshop is part of a biennial series of workshops about natural
    language generation that has been running since 1987. Previous European
    workshops have been held at Royaumont, Edinburgh, Judenstein, Pisa,
    Leiden, Duisburg, and Toulouse.

    [material deleted]