16.305 research methods: Internet ethics

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 01:32:36 EST

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 06:28:28 +0000
             From: Charles Ess <cmess@lib.drury.edu>
             Subject: Re: 16.303 research methods

    Colleagues:

    Let me also note two online resources on Internet research ethics that may
    be of value.

    One,
    <http://www.nyu.edu/projects/nissenbaum/projects_ethics.html>

    is a collection of essays from researchers and ethicists across the
    disciplines - including the humanities - and from a variety of countries,
    based on a panel on Internet research at the Computer Ethics: Professional
    Enquiries (CEPE) conference last December in Lancaster, sponsored by the
    (U.S.) National Science Foundation. (I also provide an overview - follow
    the link from the brief introduction on the opening page - of not only the
    specific articles but also larger patterns in the development of Internet
    research ethics as a field.)
    These essays will also appear soon as a special issue of _Ethics and
    Information Technology_

    Two,
    the most recent report of the ethics working committee of the Association of
    Internet Researchers is available at
    <www.aoir.org/reports/ethicsfinal.pdf>

    It will be of interest to HUMANIST readers, again, because it calls
    attention to important differences between the social sciences and the
    humanities with regard to ethical approaches to online research.

    Comments and suggestions also welcome!

    Cheers,

    Charles Ess
    Director, Interdisciplinary Studies Center
    Drury University
    900 N. Benton Ave. Voice: 417-873-7230
    Springfield, MO 65802 USA FAX: 417-873-7435
    Home page: http://www.drury.edu/ess/ess.html
    Co-chair, CATaC 2002: http://www.it.murdoch.edu.au/~sudweeks/catac02/

    Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23