16.299 Open Archives workshop 12/2002 in Lisbon

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 03:20:59 EST

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

             Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 08:12:37 +0000
             From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>
             Subject: Second Open Archives Forum Workshop. December 6-7, 2002:
    Lisbon

    NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
    News on Networking Cultural Heritage Resources
    from across the Community
    October 25, 2002

                            Second Open Archives Forum Workshop
                                December 6-7, 2002: Lisbon
                            <http://www.oaforum.org/workshops/>

    >Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:57:24 +0200
    >From: Susanne Dobratz HUB <susanne.dobratz@rz.hu-berlin.de>
    >To: dini@dini.de, LIBEROAI@listserv.cc.kuleuven.ac.be,
    >diglib@infoserv.inist.fr

    OPEN ACCESS TO HIDDEN RESOURCES
    2nd Open Archives Forum Workshop
    The organizing committee is very pleased to announce the 2nd Open
    Archives Forum Workshop, which will be held in Lisbon
    on 6-7 December, 2002. Registration will open soon on the Open
    Archives Forum website (http://www.oaforum.org/workshops/).

    The objective of this workshop is to bring together organizations that
    work in the archival and library fields in order explore whether, and
    under what conditions, the open archive approach is viable for these
    organisations. It also intends to promote the establishment of new
    collaborative links aimed at building interoperable infrastructures
    for supporting the dissemination of both archival and library
    resources. A tutorial on the implementation of the Open Archives
    Initiative Protocol for Metadata Harvesting (OAI-PMH) will be held the
    afternoon before the workshop for those people who are not familiar
    with this protocol.

    The workshop will consist of both presentations given by invited
    speakers and small groups' breakout sessions where the participants
    can discuss key issues, such as:
    * How far OAI-PMH is applicable to the electronic records of
    traditional archives, whether historical or "born digital";
    * To what extent OAI-PMH and Dublin Core have been tried out and
    accepted in the library community;
    * Can OAI-PMH enable innovative ways of cross-domain collaboration
    between archival and library communities?
    * How far OAI-PMH crosses over with other interoperability standards
    and concepts, such as Z39.50 and web services.

    One of the workshop speakers will be Carl Lagoze (NSDL) representing
    the Open Archives Initiative (OAI) with an update on OAI activities.
    Other speakers will include:
    * George Mackenzie (National Archives of Scotland)
    * Jose' Borbinha (National Library of Portugal)
    * Mark Bide (Rightscom)

    Who should attend.
    * archivists and librarians who are considering opening their
    repositories of information;
    * technical, research and project managers who are interested in
    providing services on interoperable open archives and libraries
    * decision makers in the area of libraries and archives looking for
    new strategic opportunities to promote their organizations and working
    areas

          - - - - - - - - - -
          About Open Archives Forum.
    The Open Archives Forum provides a Europe-based focus for
    dissemination of information about European activity related to open
    archives and, in particular, to the Open Archives Initiative. The aim
    of the Forum is to facilitate clustering of IST projects, national
    initiatives and other parties interested in the open archives
    approach. In order to do so, OA-Forum brings interested parties
    together to build a community of interest, enable exchange of
    information and establish a web-based European information source for
    open archives. In addition, OA-Forum undertakes comparative reviews of
    technical and organisational issues. OA-Forum is funded as an
    accompanying measure within the Information Societies Technology (IST)
    Programme, a theme of the European Union's Fifth Framework Programme
    managed by the Information Society Directorate-General of the European
    Commission. The partners of OAF are: University of Bath-UKOLN (United
    Kingdom), Istituto di Elaborazione della Informazione-CNR (Italy) and
    Computing Center of Humboldt University (Germany).

    Susanne Dobratz
    Electronic Publishing Group
    University Library / Computing Centre email: dobratz@rz.hu-berlin.de
    Humboldt-University at Berlin phone: 49+30+2093-2475 / 3274
    Dorotheenstr. 1 fax: (0)49+(0)30+2093-2959
    10099 Berlin www:
    http://www.hu-berlin.de/~h0077dfz/

    ============================================================== NINCH-Announce is an announcement listserv, produced by the National Initiative for a Networked Cultural Heritage (NINCH). The subjects of announcements are not the projects of NINCH, unless otherwise noted; neither does NINCH necessarily endorse the subjects of announcements. We attempt to credit all re-distributed news and announcements and appreciate reciprocal credit.

    For questions, comments or requests to un-subscribe, contact the editor: <mailto:david@ninch.org> ============================================================== See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at <http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>. ==============================================================