16.244 styles of publication

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 01:27:30 EDT

                       www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/
                         Submit to: humanist@princeton.edu

       [1] From: Patricia Galloway <galloway@gslis.utexas.edu> (19)
             Subject: Re: 16.241styles of publication

       [2] From: lachance@chass.utoronto.ca (Francois Lachance) (47)
             Subject: ways of reading publishing

       [3] From: "Nancy Weitz" <nancy.weitz@computing- (6)
                     services.oxford.ac.uk>

             Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 06:22:13 +0100
             From: Patricia Galloway <galloway@gslis.utexas.edu>

    Trust me, not all the sciences produce little bitty papers consisting of
    one perspicuous equation, and scientists like holding things in their
    hands and scribbling on them as well as we do (alas I hear echoes of the
    return of the two cultures...). I can only say: everyone go read Homo
    Academicus! This is about people other than academics holding the keys
    to the gate--and holding them to ransom. Another thing this is
    importantly about is allowing academic libraries to stay afloat--soon
    they won't be able to buy anything except a cable-television-like bundle
    of whatever the publishers are willing to give them. Additionally, as
    the journal publishers lose their stranglehold on the sciences, they
    will begin asking us for page fees (page fees! I hear everyone crying in
    horror) for everything we publish too (as well as charging ridiculous
    subscription fees for our work), and then maybe we will decide that it's
    worth a little rebellion. Further: people who have tenure may be happy
    with the gentlemanly leisure of humanities publication cycles, but those
    of us who don't may not have time to wait.

    Pat Galloway
    GSLIS
    University of Texas-Austin