16.234 theory/practice -- & the meaning of "application"?

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 02:26:59 EDT

       [1] From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com> (51)
             Subject: Re: 16.231 why the #? theory vs practice

       [2] From: "Osher Doctorow" <osher@ix.netcom.com> (105)

       [3] From: John Zuern <zuern@hawaii.edu> (27)
             Subject: theory/practice

             Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 07:05:28 +0100
             From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com>

    At 01:32 AM 9/30/2002, Jennifer De Beer wrote:
    >Dear Willard & humanists,
    >
    >On the theory and practice of encoding. In teaching a course on HTML I
    >stumbled across the following: Many reference sources on HTML will insist
    >that when encoding a/any color, the RGB color value should be preceded by
    >an hash e.g.
    ><BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
    >and yet, quite by accident (memory failure), I omitted the hash in numerous
    >examples. Even so, the colors were rendered, both in IE5.5 and NN4.7 on
    >Win2000. Reminded of the recent anniversary of the :-) I wondered about
    >the history of this hash. A cursory glance via Google on this matter
    >produced nothing substantive.

    A quick excavation at the w3.org web site, where many of the web
    specifications can be found, shows the six-digit hex codes showing up in
    the HTML 3.2 specification of January 14 1997
    (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html32). It reads: "Colors are given in the sRGB
    color space as hexadecimal numbers (e.g. COLOR="#C0FFC0"), or as one of 16
    widely understood color names...."

    >Out of sheer curiosity I wondered whether
    >fellow Humanists had a clue or two as to why one uses the hash when it is
    >seemingly not required.

    So the question becomes "what do you mean by 'required'"? The besetting
    problem with HTML since its inception has been that "required" could mean
    either of two things. If we mean "required by the specification", then the
    questions come up of *which* specification, and how we detect and enforce
    conformance. This color business in particular is a good example, since
    SGML validation against an HTML DTD would not, in itself, enforce
    validation of the color syntax described above (much less the more complex
    color syntaxes allowed by later W3C specifications). Yet if we mean "who
    cares about some document on the Internet, what matters is what's required
    by the browser" then the question arises of which browser, which version,
    etc. etc.

    >PS: I'm not inclined to think that this is a browser compatibility matter.

    Netscape and IE for some years tracked each others' exception handling
    (viz.: error handling) to avoid being the browser that didn't work with one
    or another popular trick or workaround. They may still be doing it, though
    thankfully now the standards are much more robust and it actually makes
    sense to refer to the public specification as the authority on what is and
    is not "required".

    Cheers,
    Wendell

    Wendell Piez mailto:wapiez@mulberrytech.com
    Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com
    17 West Jefferson Street Direct Phone: 301/315-9635
    Suite 207 Phone: 301/315-9631
    Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285