16.176 commerce and research

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 09:53:00 EDT

             Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 06:49:44 -0700
             From: "Joseph Jones (UBC Library)" <jjones@INTERCHANGE.UBC.CA>
             Subject: commerce and research

    Here is a "me too" comment on Aimee Morrison's note about commercial
    research. A bibliographic project now in its third year has
    benefited significantly from research in the databases of amazon,
    abebooks, and other booksellers. These sources have yielded material
    not found -- and not findable -- in academic library catalogues or
    union catalogue derivatives like WorldCat. And more and more I go
    to bookstores to examine material that will make it into the library
    only months later ... This phenomenon reflects both the impoverishment
    of the academy and the zest of enterprise.

    Joseph Jones University of British Columbia Library
    jjones@interchange.ubc.ca http://www.library.ubc.ca/jones