16.157 publications: commercial and individual notices

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 05:33:12 EDT

       [1] From: Willard McCarty <w.mccarty@btinternet.com> (20)
             Subject: commercial offerings

       [2] From: Willard McCarty <w.mccarty@btinternet.com> (12)
             Subject: article on e-commentary

             Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:30:50 +0100
             From: Willard McCarty <w.mccarty@btinternet.com>

    In Humanist 16.152 I circulated a number of publication notices from
    Kluwer, sent to me from an "alert" service this publisher runs.
    Subsequently a colleague and friend has written to object to the practice,
    saying that notices from individuals about publication of their books are
    welcome to him, but that he regards notices from commercial publishers as
    unacceptable. How does everyone else feel about this?

    My take on the matter is pragmatic: we need to know about new books, both
    the sort that members themselves write and those further afield that are
    still relevant to our concerns. I see no harm in exploiting a publisher's
    desire to sell books, in order to satisfy our own intellectual purposes --
    in fact I take pleasure in reversing the usual vector. But Humanist is a
    commune of a sort. Let us all know your opinion, please.

    Allow me again to invite everyone to send in notices of publication for
    their articles and books. This happens all too seldom.

    Yours,
    WM

    Dr Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer,
    Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London,
    Strand, London WC2R 2LS, U.K.,
    +44 (0)20 7848-2784, ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/,
    willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk, w.mccarty@btinternet.com