16.107 digital rights management: who's who

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Tue Jul 02 2002 - 01:53:16 EDT

             Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 06:44:24 +0100
             From: Patrick Durusau <pdurusau@emory.edu>
             Subject: Re: 16.102 call for input on digital rights management

    Greetings,

    I deeply appreciate Robin Cover's post to the list requesting DRM
    requirements and would urge the academic community to response
    appropriately, even given the rather short deadline for requirements (7
    August 2002).

    In terms of deciding to devote summer hours to this task, please consider
    the membership of this TC:

    Hari Reddy, Chairperson ContentGuard
    Carlisle Adams, Entrust
    Bob Atkinson, Microsoft
    Thomas DeMartini, ContentGuard
    John Erickson, H.P.
    Brad Gandee, Secretary ContentGuard
    Bob Glushko, CommerceOne
    Thomas Hardjono, Verisign
    Hal Lockhart, Entegrity
    M. Paramasivam, Microsoft
    David Parrott, Reuters
    Harry Piccariello, ContentGuard
    Peter Schirling, IBM
    Xin Wang, ContentGuard

    While I am sure all the members of the TC will try to develop a standard
    that represents the interests of everyone affected by the DRM standard, I
    fail to see any representation of the academic, library or other
    communities. That is not to imply any fault on the part of the TC or OASIS,
    as a community academics have tended to absent themselves from such
    discussions.

    The interests of the academic community in issues such as "fair use" and
    allowing free (or at least non-commercial) use of texts and research will
    not be well served by a standard that protects the commercial rights in the
    "Lion King" and similar artifacts. Our requirements are different and any
    standard for DRM should not attempt a one size fits all solution. I am sure
    that the TC would welcome academic input that would lead to a more nuanced
    standard that meets a wide range of needs, one of the hallmarks of a
    successful standard.

    Note that a DRM standard will eventually find its way into
    hardware/software and it will be too late to complain at that point that it
    does not meet the needs of the academic community.

    Please forward Robin's note (and my comments if you think appropriate) to
    anyone you know who is interested in "fair use" or more generally access to
    academic materials, since a DRM standard will deeply affect both issues.

    Patrick

    --
    Patrick Durusau
    Director of Research and Development