16.014 Urgent Business Proposals (419)

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 02:09:59 EDT

       [1] From: Bill Schipper <schipper@mun.ca> (52)
             Subject: Re: 16.007 Urgent Business Proposals and the Ontario
                     Provincial Police

       [2] From: "Prof S.R.L. Clark" <srlclark@liverpool.ac.uk> (7)
             Subject: The 419 Scam

             Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 06:22:18 +0100
             From: Bill Schipper <schipper@mun.ca>
    Provincial Police

    Thank you Willard, for reminding me and telling others that I'm still flesh and
    blood. Sometimes I wonder.
    The phonebusters.com address was given to me by a member of the St John's, NF,
    RCMP detachment. I saw no reason to question its reliabitity, and see
    none now.

    I did, out of curiosity, briefly follow up one of these scams, and know
    they read
    their email. If you are greedy enough, and can convince yourself this is a
    legitimate plea for assistance with sound business proposition, you will soon
    discover that you have to send money -- lots of it -- to an address in Nigeria.
    You may even be invited to deliver it in person, at your own expense, of
    course.

    Happy computing.

    Bill

    "Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty )" wrote:

    > Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 16, No. 7.
    > Centre for Computing in the Humanities, King's College London
    > <http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/>
    > <http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/>
    >
    > Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 06:34:25 +0100
    > From: "Patrick T. Rourke" <ptrourke@methymna.com>
    > Police
    >
    > The address phonebusters.com is listed on VeriSign whois as belonging to
    >
    > Phonebusters: Ontario Provincial Police (PHONEBUSTERS3-DOM)
    > Box 686
    > North Bay, Ontario P1B 8I8
    > CA
    >
    > However, based upon recent experience, not all registrars are as careful
    > about checking registration information as they should be. So this is
    not a
    > guarantee that the address does belong to the Ontario Provincial
    Police; but
    > it is very likely.

    Newfoundland. As