15.614 advice for an online edition, plus another query

From: Humanist Discussion Group (by way of Willard McCarty (w.mccarty@btinternet.com)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 04:22:43 EDT

       [1] From: Robert.Knapp@directory.reed.edu (Robert Knapp) (27)
             Subject: Re: 15.610 advice for an online edition, and a query

       [2] From: Willard McCarty <w.mccarty@btinternet.com> (16)
             Subject: imaging in editions?

             Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 08:19:47 +0100
             From: Robert.Knapp@directory.reed.edu (Robert Knapp)

    Thanks to all respondents, on and off list, for extremely helpful and
    candid advice. To Willard's query, I'd say that the target audience is
    two fold, in this order: undergraduates, scholars who read English more
    rapidly than Latin. The tentative ordering of goals runs something like
    this: to produce a searchable text, annotated with enough explanation to
    make it useful to the undergraduate target audience, and with some
    discursive commentary (mostly confined to an introduction). Some of this
    annotation will involve adding notes locating and explaining the marginal
    references (mostly citations of authority) that the sixteenth century
    translator provides. If our institution acts on my request to subscribe to
    ProQuest's EEBO, it would be good to link the edition to the digitized page
    images in that collection (which of course would mean that only persons at
    institutions subscribing to EEBO could follow such links).

    Most of the questions I would imagine such an edition capable of answering
    will be those that a good print edition could answer: what does this word,
    this reference mean; who is this translator, and who were his patrons; what
    is the conceptual history of this notion; how should one interpret such and
    such a passage; what is the historical interest of the work as a whole;
    where can one find additional discussion of this text and this
    author. It's possible, I suppose, that questions of early modern English
    usage might be posed to the text, but it's short and not unusual, and it
    has no special literary or rhetorical interest.

    In addition to two sorts of notes (the translator's marginal notes, and
    others that I add) I intend to tag major structural features: colophon and
    title page, book and chapter division, page (and signature), paragraph,
    line number. The RET guidelines may lead me to tag additional features,
    but right now these seem enough.

    Robert Knapp